Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab: using linterp to interpolate beach contours

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to create a plot of how certain elevation contours on a beach change over time. I have been using linterp for this so far. I want to interpolate a cross-shore (from dune to shoreline) position for a certain elevation from my data.

The issue I'm having is that when there is more than 1 occurrence of a particular contour on a particular profile linterp is picking up the landward most contour, but I want to know the location of the seaward most contour.

Any thoughts on a work around or another method of interpolation?

It was suggested to me that I try interp2, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use that.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What's the nature of the data you're linterping, does it report the xyz of points along the surface? Do you encode this in a 3d matrix?

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    The data is a series of x and z points (y is assumed the same at all locations).

I think the problem was that linterp was sorting the data based on z before interpolating and we wanted to keep them in order by x.

Now using curveintersect, and it works!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook