1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab - What does an array definition mean

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to make a matlab plot with two types of data, i.e. temperature and air flow rate. Since the temperature and air flow rate are on different scales I wanted two y-scales and since there are quite some data sets, I wanted to make the two air flow rates bold.

I tried this, but it doesn't work:

plotyy(time,reator_temperature_matrix,time,air_flow_matrix,'LineWidth',2)

After a long journey, I ended up here: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/81078

And saw it solved the following way:

[AX,H1,H2] = plotyy(time,reactor_temperature_matrix,time,air_flow_matrix) ;
    set(H2,'LineWidth',2)

This solved my problem, though now I'm curious what [AX,H1,H2] means and I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet. What does '[AX,H1,H2] = ...' create? Can I choose any name for AX, H1 and H2?

When I go to the workspace, I see three vectors with some numbers, but they don't make any sense to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

4. Jul 10, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much. When I have time I'll will try to read up on handles. My plots now look exactly the way I want them to look.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted