What does this definition mean ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a symbol (S) in relation to an arbitrary group G and a subset S. The definition states that (S) represents the intersection of all subgroups H of G that contain S as a subset. The conversation also mentions the notation "H |" and the usual definition of (S) as "the subgroup generated by S." The speaker asks for examples of finite groups to better understand the concept.
Maths Lover
hello , I don't understand the meaning of the next definition , so , I hope that you can make it easy to understand it for me

definition
if G is an arbitrary group and ∅≠S⊆G , then ,the symbol (s) will represent the set
(S) = ∩ { H∖S ⊆ H : H is a subgroup of G }

can you give me some examples about this definition ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maths Lover said:
definition
if G is an arbitrary group and ∅≠S⊆G , then ,the symbol (s) will represent the set
(S) = ∩ { H∖S ⊆ H : H is a subgroup of G }

Perhaps the definition should read: (S) = ∩ { H | S ⊆ H : H is a subgroup of G }
where "H |" means "the H such that...".

(The notation "H\G" is used by some books to denote the set of right cosets of a subgroup H. I don't think that is what the definition uses.)

The usual definition of (S) would be called "the subgroup generated by S" and it would be
[itex] \cap_i H_i [/itex] taken over all subgroups [itex] H_i [/itex] of [itex] G [/itex] that contain [itex] S [/itex] as a subset.

What examples of finite groups have you studied? Perhaps we can use one of them as an example.

What does this definition mean?

This is a common question that is often asked when someone comes across a new or unfamiliar term. A definition is a statement that explains the meaning of a word or phrase. It helps to clarify the meaning of a specific concept and provide a common understanding for others.

How do I interpret a definition?

Interpreting a definition requires careful reading and understanding of the words and phrases used. It is important to pay attention to the context in which the definition is being used, as well as any additional information or examples provided. If you are still unsure, it can be helpful to consult a dictionary or ask for clarification from someone knowledgeable on the subject.

Why are definitions important?

Definitions are important because they provide a shared understanding of language and concepts. They help to avoid confusion and misunderstandings, especially when communicating with others in a professional or academic setting. Definitions also serve as a foundation for further learning and understanding of a subject.

How do definitions differ from each other?

Definitions can differ based on the context in which they are used, the intended audience, and the source of the definition. Some definitions may be more technical or scientific, while others may be simpler and more accessible. It is important to consider the source and context when interpreting a definition.

Can a definition change over time?

Yes, definitions can change over time as language and concepts evolve. For example, the definition of "family" has evolved to include non-traditional family structures. Additionally, scientific definitions may change as new discoveries are made. It is important to stay informed and updated on changes in definitions to ensure accurate understanding and communication.