Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLABCan it do Symbolic Manipulations?

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    For example: If I have some ridiculously long equation, and I want to solve it for 'x' can it do it?

I know that there are better software packages that can handle symbolic notation like Mathematica, but I would like for my output to be in the style of MATLAB.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have the Symbolic Math Toolbox, then yes.

- Warren

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Oooh...I think I just might!

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4
    Keep in mind that SMT is only available on 32bit installations of Matlab in the Windows environment, if you've got the 64bit variation installed, then congratulations you don't have SMT. Oddly enough SMT is available in 64bit Matlab for for the linux environment.

I just figured I'd throw out the heads up since I wasted a day trying to figure out why 'syms' wasn't recognized on my 64bit matlab install.

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    there is MATLAB for the linux environment? got have that...

7. Sep 24, 2009 #6
    Just for the record, Sym. Math Toolbox is not aware of cosh/sinh functions when simplifying equations. It can't see them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook