Matrix Identify involving Diagonal Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the expression (V + V^{-1})^{-1} = V(V^2 + I)^{-1} by using matrix terminology and a scalar analogy. It is shown that the expression can be derived from the right hand side by pulling out a common factor and using the property of inverse matrices. The simplicity of the method is highlighted.
hotvette
Homework Helper
If V is diagonal, it is easy to show:

[itex](V + V^{-1})^{-1} = V(V^2 + I)^{-1}[/itex]

by multiplying both sides by:

[itex](V + V^{-1})[/itex]

But, I'm wondering if there is a way to derive the RHS from the LHS. Since diagonal matrices behave like scalars, I used a scalar analogy:

[itex] (x + 1/x)^{-1} = ((x^2 + 1)/x)^{-1} = x(x^2 + 1)^{-1}[/itex]

But I'd like to show it using matrix terminology. If there is something simple, I'm missing it. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
V doesn't even have to be diagonal, only invertible (and we also need V^2+I to be invertible - if we're working with real matrices, this is automatic).

[tex](V + V^{-1})^{-1} = ((V^2 + I)V^{-1})^{-1} = V(V^2 + I)^{-1},[/tex]

where in the middle step I'm pulling out the "common factor" [itex]V^{-1}[/itex], and in the last step I'm using the fact that [itex](AB)^{-1} = B^{-1}A^{-1}[/itex].

Last edited:
I knew it had to be simple. Just didn't see it...

Thanks.

What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the off-diagonal elements are equal to zero. This means that the only non-zero elements are on the main diagonal from the top left to the bottom right.

What is the purpose of diagonal matrices in linear algebra?

Diagonal matrices are useful in simplifying calculations and solving systems of equations. They also have important applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How do you identify a diagonal matrix?

To identify a diagonal matrix, simply check if all the elements outside of the main diagonal are equal to zero. If they are, then the matrix is diagonal.

Can a diagonal matrix have non-zero elements on the main diagonal?

Yes, a diagonal matrix can have non-zero elements on the main diagonal. As long as all the elements outside of the main diagonal are equal to zero, the matrix is considered diagonal.

What are the properties of diagonal matrices?

Some key properties of diagonal matrices include: they are commutative, meaning that the order of multiplication does not matter; they are invertible if and only if all the diagonal elements are non-zero; and they have a determinant equal to the product of its diagonal elements.