Matrix Problem: Find A and B such that A = O, B =O, AB= O and BA =O

• Thread starter Crystal037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: The matrix multiplies seem wrong. I'm thinking:$$AB = \begin{bmatrix} aw+by & ax+bz \\ cw+dy & cx+dz \end{bmatrix} = 0$$$$BA = \begin{bmatrix} aw+cx & bw+dx \\ ay+cz & by+dz \end{bmatrix} \neq 0$$In summary, the matrices are singular and both need to be nilpotent in order for the equation to hold.
Crystal037
Homework Statement
Find a matrix such that A and B such that A not equal to null matrix B not equal to null matrix AB= null matrix and BA not equal to null matrix
Relevant Equations
A! = O, B! =O, AB= O and BA! =O
Let
A=
[ a b]
[ c d ]
B =
[ w x]
[ y z]
Then aw +by=0 bx+dz=0
cw+dy=0 cx+dz=0
aw+cx! =0 bw+x! =0
ya+cz!=0 by+dz! =0
But I don't get the answer after this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crystal037 said:
Problem Statement: Find a matrix such that A and B such that A not equal to null matrix B not equal to null matrix AB= null matrix and BA not equal to null matrix
I'm not sure I follow your problem statement. Do ##A## and ##B## both need to be square? The fact that ##BA \neq \mathbf 0## implies that ##A## and ##B## are both non-zero.

The way to think about this is both matrices are singular. You'll want at least one to be nilpotent... in either case they both have 'a lot' of zero eigenvalues. What's the simplest way to come up with an example fitting that? Make both of them triangular matrices

edit:
another approach would be to select a mix of other 'easy' matrices -- perhaps a symmetric rank one matrix, and full rank diagonal matrix... playing around with triangular matrices is probably easier though.

Last edited:
Crystal037 said:
Problem Statement: Find a matrix such that A and B such that A not equal to null matrix B not equal to null matrix AB= null matrix and BA not equal to null matrix
Relevant Equations: A! = O, B! =O, AB= O and BA! =O

Let
A=
[ a b]
[ c d ]
B =
[ w x]
[ y z]
Then aw +by=0 bx+dz=0
cw+dy=0 cx+dz=0
aw+cx! =0 bw+x! =0
ya+cz!=0 by+dz! =0
But I don't get the answer after this
Pick ##a,\ b,\, w,\, y## such that ##aw = -by## and have all other entries be zero.

The matrix multiplies seem wrong. I'm thinking:

$$AB = \begin{bmatrix} aw+by & ax+bz \\ cw+dy & cx+dz \end{bmatrix} = 0$$
$$BA = \begin{bmatrix} aw+cx & bw+dx \\ ay+cz & by+dz \end{bmatrix} \neq 0$$

Last edited:
It certainly is possible.

Here's a screen shot from a Ti-84 graphics calculator.

Of course, that does not give the entries for the matrices, but I pretty much followed the advice in Post #3 in constructing them..

Last edited:

1. How can A and B both be equal to O if AB = O and BA = O?

The key here is to understand that O (the zero matrix) is a special matrix that has the property of being the identity element for matrix multiplication. This means that when any matrix is multiplied by O, the resulting matrix will always be O. Therefore, even if A and B are not equal to O individually, their product will still be O if either A or B (or both) is equal to O.

2. Is there more than one solution for A and B in this matrix problem?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions for A and B in this problem. As long as A and B are both equal to O individually, their product will always be O regardless of the values of their individual elements. This means that there are countless combinations of numbers that can be used for A and B, as long as they are all equal to O.

3. Can A and B be non-zero matrices in this problem?

No, A and B must be equal to O in order for all the given conditions to be satisfied. If either A or B is a non-zero matrix, then their product will also be non-zero, which would contradict the given conditions of AB = O and BA = O.

4. What is the significance of O in this matrix problem?

O, or the zero matrix, is important in this problem because it has the special property of being the identity element for matrix multiplication. This means that when any matrix is multiplied by O, the resulting matrix will always be O. In this problem, the given conditions require that the product of A and B must be O, which is only possible if either A or B (or both) is equal to O.

5. Can this matrix problem be solved using algebraic equations?

Yes, this matrix problem can be solved using algebraic equations. The given conditions of A = O, B = O, AB = O, and BA = O can be translated into algebraic equations and solved for A and B. However, as mentioned earlier, there are infinitely many solutions for A and B in this problem, so the specific values of A and B will depend on the chosen variables and equations used to solve the problem.