Matter density in Weinberg's Cosmology book

In summary, during a conversation about the universe matter density and its analytic function near the origin, it was explained that the function must be given by a power series of r2 in order for it to be analytic. This is because if it contained powers of r, it would not be analytic. The use of spherical coordinates also adds to the complexity, as the coordinate system is singular at r=0. It was further clarified that the 1/r divergence from the gradient and the 1/r2 divergence from the vector Laplacian together mandate ρ(r) to be a function of r2.
jouvelot
Hi everyone,

On Page 72 of S. Weinberg's Cosmology book, it's mentioned, just after Equation 1.9.16, that, for the universe matter density ρ(r) to be an analytic function near the origin (spherical symmetry), it has to be given near r = 0 by a power series of r2. I'm not a math wizard, so can anyone explain this little detail to me, please (why no odd powers of r)?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre

Space news on Phys.org
If it contained powers of ##r##, then it would not be analytic. Consider the function ##r## itself.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question, but I still don't get it. Analytic means, to me, for a function to be locally identical to its (convergent) Taylor expansion. Why wouldn't this work for r near 0, using spherical coordinates?

Thanks.

Bye,

Pierre

You are looking at it as a one-dimensional function. It is a three-dimensional function. Note that the coordinate system is singular at r=0.

Hi,

Indeed, but since ρ(r) is supposed to only depend on r and the coordinate divergence on the gradient only comes from θ and φ, I assumed this wouldn't be a factor. But I guess a 0 doesn't remove the 1/r divergence ;)

Thanks.

Bye,

Pierre

jouvelot said:
Indeed, but since ρ(r) is supposed to only depend on r and the coordinate divergence on the gradient only comes from θ and φ, I assumed this wouldn't be a factor. But I guess a 0 doesn't remove the 1/r divergence ;)
Answering my own question, if the gradient has only a 1/r divergence for r=0, the vector Laplacian diverges in 1/r2, thus mandating ρ(r) to be a function of r2.

Related to Matter density in Weinberg's Cosmology book

1. What is Matter Density in Weinberg's Cosmology book?

Matter density in Weinberg's Cosmology book refers to the amount of matter present in the universe, specifically in relation to the volume of space. It is a key concept in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. How is Matter Density calculated in Weinberg's Cosmology book?

In Weinberg's Cosmology book, matter density is calculated by dividing the mass of matter in a given volume of space by the volume itself. This is often expressed in terms of the critical density, which is the amount of matter needed for the universe to be flat.

3. Why is Matter Density important in cosmology?

Matter density is important in cosmology because it helps us understand the overall structure and expansion of the universe. It also plays a role in determining the fate of the universe, as a higher matter density can lead to a closed universe, while a lower density can lead to an open universe.

4. How does Matter Density affect the formation of galaxies and other structures?

Matter density plays a critical role in the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe. In regions with a higher matter density, gravity is stronger and can pull matter together to form galaxies. In regions with lower matter density, matter is more spread out, making it difficult for structures to form.

5. How has our understanding of Matter Density changed over time according to Weinberg's Cosmology book?

Our understanding of Matter Density in cosmology has evolved over time, especially with advancements in technology and observations. In the past, it was believed that the universe had a much higher matter density than we now know to be true. Weinberg's Cosmology book reflects this change in understanding and presents the concept of dark matter, which accounts for a significant portion of the universe's matter density.