Maximizing and Minimizing Friction to Aid in Transportation

• Thread starter Physics345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, friction is maximized to aid tires and minimized to aid air transportation, both cases being necessary for efficient and safe transportation.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Efficient and safe transportation depends on friction being either minimized or maximized as necessary.
a) One example in which friction is maximized to aid in transportation
a) One example in which friction is minimized to aid in transportation
For each situation, explain how the friction is maximized/minimized and why this is necessary or beneficial

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Friction is maximized to aid tires. If the friction isn’t maximized the vehicle would not be able to keep a grip on roads, which would cause the vehicle to slip while turning and can be extremely dangerous in bad weather, which would be even more prone to slipping due to the lack of tension between the vehicle and the road. Also tires relate to the amount of time and distance a vehicle needs to make a full stop in an emergency situation, if the grip isn’t maximized, in turn a collision would most likely occur in an unforeseen scenario.

b) Friction is minimized to aid, air transportation in the form of aerodynamics, the slender design of jets are a great example of minimizing friction due to air resistance, allowing for jets to reach extremely high speeds at a lower cost considering jets use less fuel when they have less resistance because less energy needs to be used due to minimized friction.

Refrences:
http://www.hk-phy.org/energy/transport/print/trans_is_print_e.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Mechanics/frictire.html

Likes Lord and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
a) is fine

b) I don't know if air resistance is normally thought of as being caused by friction? Is it? I was thinking more along the lines of minimizing bearing friction...

Likes Physics345
berkeman said:
a) is fine

b) I don't know if air resistance is normally thought of as being caused by friction? Is it? I was thinking more along the lines of minimizing bearing friction...
Do you think I should use a bullet train as an example instead then?

Physics345 said:
Do you think I should use a bullet train as an example instead then?
For what? An example of friction by air resistance, or having to do with bearing friction.

BTW, do you know what a Maglev train is? Can you comment on bearing friction for Maglev trains? :smile:

Likes Physics345
berkeman said:
For what? An example of friction by air resistance, or having to do with bearing friction.

BTW, do you know what a Maglev train is? Can you comment on bearing friction for Maglev trains? :smile:
I called it a bullet train, I actually meant Maglev train. I'll have an answer for you shortly.

A means of transportation that minimizes friction, The Maglev train! Also known as the magnetic levitating train, it levitates in the air by using oppositely charged magnets causing it to levitate in the air, which completely removes any type of friction force since it doesn't physically touch anything opposed to to a regular train that has huge amounts of friction since it's moving on the railings. It also needs very little maintenance making it greenhouse friendly, and head ache free since it makes very little noise compared to a regular train.

Likes berkeman
I honestly had no clue it levitates, I seen it in the same article I found the info about the jet, I just didn't read what It did, beccause I thought "oh it's a train, it probably has a ton of friction" I'm glad you mentioned it it was a very interesting read. Here's a link http://www.hk-phy.org/energy/transport/print/trans_is_print_e.html

Good job. Yeah, that's a nice extreme example of minimizing friction in transportation! :smile:

Likes Physics345
berkeman said:
Good job. Yeah, that's a nice extreme example of minimizing friction in transportation! :smile:
I really appreciate it! At this point I'm working on my last question then I'm going to post two more just to clarify a few concepts you guys are really helping me understand things at a much faster rate.
Oh also, if you wanted to chime in on the current problem I'm working, here's the link:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...eck-my-work-artificial-gravity-report.939299/
Another Question quickly gone through with the help of my My Mentor Berkeman! Thank you very much!

1) What is friction and how does it affect transportation?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact with each other. In transportation, friction can either aid or hinder movement depending on the situation. For example, friction is necessary for tires to grip the road and allow vehicles to move, but too much friction can cause wear and tear on the tires and decrease efficiency.

2) How can friction be minimized to improve transportation?

One way to minimize friction in transportation is by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the contact between two surfaces. This can be applied to moving parts in vehicles, such as engines and wheels, to decrease the amount of friction and increase efficiency.

3) What are some examples of maximizing friction in transportation?

Maximizing friction in transportation can be achieved through the use of materials with high coefficient of friction, such as rubber, for tires. This allows for better grip on the road and improves safety. Another example is the use of anti-lock braking systems in vehicles, which use friction to slow down and stop the vehicle.

4) How does weight affect friction in transportation?

The weight of an object can affect friction in transportation in multiple ways. Heavier objects have more weight on their tires, which increases the friction between the tires and the road. This can improve stability and control, but also requires more energy to overcome the increased friction. On the other hand, lighter objects may experience less friction, but may also be less stable and have less control.

5) How can scientists and engineers use friction to improve transportation?

Scientists and engineers can use their understanding of friction to develop new materials and technologies that can improve transportation. For example, they can create more efficient lubricants or develop new tire designs with optimized friction for different road conditions. They can also use friction to improve the safety of transportation, such as designing better brakes and traction control systems.