Maximum and Minimum Kinetic Energies following decay

In summary, the particle releases an amount of energy Q which becomes the kinetic energy of the two particles following decay. The maximum and minimum kinetic energies of the particle of mass m1 are found to be 2.25 and 0.
paodealho

Homework Statement

An unstable particle of mass M = m1 + m2 decays into two particles
of masses m1 and m2, releasing an amount of energy Q. Determine
the kinetic energies of the two particles in the CM frame. Given that
m1/m2 = 4, Q = 1 MeV, and that the unstable particle is moving in
the Lab with kinetic energy 2.25 MeV, find the maximum and minimum
Lab kinetic energies of the particle of mass m1.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy: [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MV2 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v12 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v22

Conservation of Momentum: MV = m1v1 + m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the center of mass frame, the kinetic energy and momentum are zero initially. The particle decays and releases energy Q which becomes the kinetic energy of the two particles following decay in this frame.

So Q = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v12 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v22 (1)

and m1v1 = m2v2
v1 = -m2/m1 * v2 (2)

Substituting (2) into (1):
Q = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][m1(-m2/m1 * v2)2 + m2v22]

After some algebra ...

T1 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v12 = Q * m2 / M

and

T2 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v22 = Q * m1 / M

The first part is all fine and dandy. I'm struggling with the second portion. I don't think I'm to consider the rest mass of the particles resulting from the decay... If all of the available energy becomes kinetic energy for m1 in the lab frame, wouldn't the maximum Kinetic energy just be 3.25 MeV for m1 ? (the textbook indicates otherwise: 3.20 MeV)

Following that line of logic, the minimum would just be zero but something doesn't seem right about that.

My apologies for the essay. I've tried all manner of shenanigans (conservation law manipulation) to find the min/max kinetic energies but have not succeeded. Am I just over-thinking this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you are supposed to use non-relativistic kinematics? From the problem setting I'd think so, because they say [itex]M=m_1+m_2[/itex], which is not correct in a relativistic setup.

In any case you have to rethink your energy-bilance equation! Note that in the decay an additional energy [itex]Q[/itex] is released.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I'm fairly certain that this is non-relativistic (classical mechanics course + problem description seem to indicate this).

With the additional energy Q released, shouldn't the equation for Energy just be:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MV2 + Q = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v12 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v22 ?

So the total "available" energy for the decay products should be 3.25 MeV (KE of unstable particle + Q)?

I don't believe that the KE of either decay product can be zero due to conservation of momentum and the KE relations derived for the center of mass frame. If I'm looking for a minimum/maximum KE, it seems like I should be looking at a quadratic somewhere.

1. What is the concept behind maximum and minimum kinetic energies following decay?

Maximum and minimum kinetic energies following decay refer to the range of possible energies that particles can have after undergoing a nuclear decay process. The maximum kinetic energy is the highest possible energy that a particle can have, while the minimum kinetic energy is the lowest possible energy.

2. How are maximum and minimum kinetic energies calculated?

The maximum and minimum kinetic energies can be calculated using the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. The initial energy and momentum of the decaying particle are compared to the final energy and momentum of the decay products to determine the range of possible energies.

3. What factors influence the maximum and minimum kinetic energies following decay?

The maximum and minimum kinetic energies are influenced by the type of decay, the mass of the decaying particle, and the masses of the decay products. The type of decay determines the type of decay products and the energy released during the decay process, while the masses of the particles determine the distribution of the energy between the decay products.

4. How do maximum and minimum kinetic energies impact the stability of a nucleus?

The maximum and minimum kinetic energies play a role in determining the stability of a nucleus. A nucleus with a large difference between the maximum and minimum kinetic energies will have more stable decay products and therefore a longer half-life. This is because the energy released during the decay process is not enough to cause a rapid and spontaneous decay.

5. Can maximum and minimum kinetic energies be experimentally measured?

Yes, maximum and minimum kinetic energies can be experimentally measured using various techniques such as particle detectors and spectrometers. These instruments can measure the energy and momentum of particles and determine the range of possible energies following a nuclear decay.