Maximum Capillary Rise: Dynamic Treatment of Liquid in Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Rituraj131
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A capillay tube is just in contact with a liquid surface of perfectly wetting liquid. What is the maximum height liquid can rise inside the capilary?
Relevant Equations
H=2σcos(θ)/(ρgr)
I know that the height in general is goven by 2σcos(θ)/(ρgr). So the maximum height can be 2σ/(ρgr) with cos(θ)=1. But the answer given is c.
 
Attachments
  • 20190403_012240.jpg
    20190403_012240.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Rituraj131 said:
I know that the height in general is goven by 2σcos(θ)/(ρgr).
That is for the case where the surrounding reservoir is effectively infinite in area. How do you think it might be affected by a narrower surround?
(But I am not sure this gets to answer c.)
 
haruspex said:
That is for the case where the surrounding reservoir is effectively infinite in area. How do you think it might be affected by a narrower surround?
(But I am not sure this gets to answer c.)
Thank you for you response. Actually the problem needs a dynamic treatment of the liquid in motion
 
Rituraj131 said:
Thank you for you response. Actually the problem needs a dynamic treatment of the liquid in motion
Ah, ok... you unintentionally altered the statement by writing "is just in contact" instead of "is put in contact".

Does this mean you now get the intended answer?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rituraj131