Projectile motion -- Maximum range it can travel inside a 2m tunnel

In summary: That will leave you with an equation relating U and g. You know g.In summary, a particle is projected inside a 2m high tunnel and must not hit the sides or ceiling. The maximum range is attained when the projectile grazes the roof. Using the equations Δy=Usin(θ)t-½gt2 and Δx=Ucos(θ)t, and knowing that vf=0, we can eliminate t and θ to find an equation relating U and g. This will help us determine the maximum range of the particle inside the tunnel.
rashida564

Homework Statement

A particle is projected inside a tunnel which is 2 m high and must not hit the side or ceiling of the tunnel. If the initial speed is U show that the maximum range of the particle inside the tunnel
You may assume that the maximum range is attained when the projectile just grazes the roof of the tunnel.

Homework Equations

Δy=Usin(θ)t-½gt2
Δx=Ucos(θ)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the maximum range is attained when the project gazes the top of the roof then Δy=2m. U is know so the first equation I can use is 2=Usin(θ)-½gt2 I assumed that vf=0 (even though I am not sure) 0=Usin(θ)t so I solve for t and substitute it into the first equation,then Idk what should I do I think it has something to do with Δx=Ucos(θ)t

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rashida564 said:
2=Usin(θ)-½gt2
You left something out, probably just a typo. But what exactly is t here?
rashida564 said:
0=Usin(θ)t
Eh? That would mean t=0.
rashida564 said:
something to do with Δx=Ucos(θ)t
Yes.
You have two equations with t in them, but you are not asked for a time. So what should you do as the next step?

Sry for tge typos the dirst one I missed t and the second one it should be 0=Usin(theta)-gt

I tried to eliminate t from one of them into the other x into the y but I didn't get anywhere. since theta is unknown

rashida564 said:
I tried to eliminate t from one of them into the other x into the y but I didn't get anywhere. since theta is unknown
You now have a third equation (post #3) so you should be able to eliminate t and θ.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a two-dimensional space under the influence of gravity. It is the combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

What factors affect the maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel?

The maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. The shape and size of the projectile may also have an impact.

How is the maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel calculated?

The maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2 sin2θ)/g, where R is the maximum range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the optimal angle of launch for maximum range inside a 2m tunnel?

The optimal angle of launch for maximum range inside a 2m tunnel is 45 degrees. This angle allows for equal horizontal and vertical components of motion, maximizing the distance traveled.

Can air resistance be ignored in calculating the maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel?

Air resistance cannot be completely ignored in calculating the maximum range of a projectile inside a 2m tunnel, but it may be negligible depending on the size and shape of the projectile and the length of the tunnel. In general, air resistance will decrease the maximum range of the projectile.