1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's Equations in 4-D Space

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are using Gaussian units. To begin, the vector Hk is the magnetic field, which relates to a second rank antisymmetric tensor, Fij.
    a.) Prove
    [tex] F_{ij} = \frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial x_{ i }} - \frac{\partial A_{ i }}{\partial x_{j}} = \partial_{ i } A_{j} - \partial_{j} A_{ i } [/tex]

where [itex] \nabla \times \vec{A} = \vec{H}[/itex]​
    I'm only posting this first part because I feel like once I get it everything will roll out and I'll be able to answer it all.

2. Relevant equations
    In the last problem, we proved that [itex] H_{k} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} F_{ij} \iff F_{ij} = \epsilon_{ijk} H_{k} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The last problem says that the tensor Fij can be written as the following matrix:
    [tex]
    \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & H_{z} & -H_{y} \\
    -H_{z} & 0 & H_{x} \\
    H_y & -H_x & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex] and the hint says that
    [tex] (curl \, \vec{A})_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} A_{k} = H_{i} [/tex] So, [itex] F_{12} = \partial_{1} A_2 - \partial_2 A_1 [/itex]. Do I just et the partials from the definition of the curl of A being H?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

There are several problems with what you've written. First of all, in 4D space-time, the matrix representing Fij is a 4x4 antisymmetric matrix, not 3x3 as you've written it. It contains both the electric field and magnetic field. Secondly, even what you have written for the space part of Fij is wrong, since it should contain Hx, Hy, and Hz. Normally in 4D space-time, time is x0, and the space components are x1,2,3.
    So F12 = ∂1 A2 - ∂2 A1 = ∂x Ay - ∂y Ax = Hz. Try working through it again.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

This is the first part of my problem, I should have been more clear, sorry. Later on in the problem it extends the tensor to a 4x4, antisymmetric tensor, but I have trouble proving the first part. I only posted the first part because I felt like I could get the rest if I could get the first part. I mistyped as it was early in the morning, I'll fix my first post, the matrix is:
    [tex]
    \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & H_{z} & -H_{y} \\
    -H_{z} & 0 & H_{x} \\
    H_y & -H_x & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

What I noticed, is that [itex] (\nabla \times \vec{A})_{ i } = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} A_{k} = H_{i} \rightarrow (\nabla \times \vec{A})_{ 1 } = \partial_{2} A_{3} - \partial_{3} A_{2} = H_{1} [/itex], can I use this in my tensor?

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, this looks correct now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted