Maybe this world is another planet's hell.

  • Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • #26
And about the God thing, we are all so wrapped up in being better than everything else, that we think we are capable of understanding God! If we were granted with this divine understanding, God would not be testing our faith. Humans are simply not intelligent enough to understand God.
 
  • #27
dekoi
Impossible? said:
And about the God thing, we are all so wrapped up in being better than everything else, that we think we are capable of understanding God! If we were granted with this divine understanding, God would not be testing our faith. Humans are simply not intelligent enough to understand God.
Partially true. We can create "arguments" for the existance of God; however, they will not prove his existance -- instead, they will provide us with a logical possibility. Faith is given to humans to build upon their already founded belief. Each one depends on each other.
 
  • #28
The 1st noble truth is that life is difficult (though some translate this as 'suffering'). I think that its probably not an either-or situation, but that when you are happy (in love, get the job you wanted) life is heaven for that time, , and when the tide turns (lover dumps you, hate your new boss) life is hell for that time. Then you fall in love with your boss, and live happily ever after. Until the divorce. Then you fall in love with your solicitor. Who turns out to be a fridge-fetishist.

But what is the alternative to life? Eternal bliss? Eternal hellfire? Non-existence? If you are under the impression that life is hell and cannot be otherwise, its probably best to talk to somebody.
 
  • #29
356
3
tribdog said:
yeah! and since there are an infinite number of questions we should have the answer to at least 3/4 of them by then. I think the deity question gets answered 1 or 2 questions before infinity.
If there are an infinite number of questions, can you name 3/4 of them? Have you even thought of the smallest fraction of them? In 2000 years we will have 2000 more years of new knowledge, and 2000 more years of new questions that 2000 years ago, we couldn't even comprehend. Rinse and Repeat, I wish I could live forever.

The Deity Question will be answered sooner or later provided there is still intelligent life out there, but by the time we do figure it out our idea of an 'important' question will be so much more 'important' than that boring theory that's been tossed around for the last 10000 years.
 
  • #30
dekoi
Smurf said:
The Deity Question will be answered sooner or later provided there is still intelligent life out there, but by the time we do figure it out our idea of an 'important' question will be so much more 'important' than that boring theory that's been tossed around for the last 10000 years.
Disagree. Like i said before, the God argument will not be completely proven. If it was completely proven, faith would have no value.
 
  • #31
695
6
Smurf said:
If there are an infinite number of questions, can you name 3/4 of them? Have you even thought of the smallest fraction of them? In 2000 years we will have 2000 more years of new knowledge, and 2000 more years of new questions that 2000 years ago, we couldn't even comprehend. Rinse and Repeat, I wish I could live forever.

The Deity Question will be answered sooner or later provided there is still intelligent life out there, but by the time we do figure it out our idea of an 'important' question will be so much more 'important' than that boring theory that's been tossed around for the last 10000 years.
point taken, but I'll bet we can ask almost half of infinity.
 
  • #32
356
3
I'm not sure if thats a joke, but I'm quite sure that infinity won't exist once we master Quantum Physics and start experimenting with Alternate universes and realise that time is an illusion and just a 'filler' for that blank part of life we can't understand fully.
but at the same time mathematics will come up with yet another ultimate frontier.

One of the reasons I want to life forever.
 
  • #33
356
3
dekoi said:
Disagree. Like i said before, the God argument will not be completely proven. If it was completely proven, faith would have no value.
I think thats one of the most interesting things is that it WON'T have any value, and it will cease to exist, humanity will take a whole new direction. I am not religious and Faith always seemed more like stupidity to me, Believing something because you believe it, I hate people who believe "CNN is the most trusted name in new's" just because they say they are, and to me I can't tell the difference between this and that.
 
  • #34
695
6
you need to watch Passion of the Jedi then.
 
  • #35
111
0
there certainly is a lot of hype about someone who no one seems to know whether exists or not... ( God )
 
  • #36
dekoi
Smurf said:
I think thats one of the most interesting things is that it WON'T have any value, and it will cease to exist, humanity will take a whole new direction. I am not religious and Faith always seemed more like stupidity to me, Believing something because you believe it, I hate people who believe "CNN is the most trusted name in new's" just because they say they are, and to me I can't tell the difference between this and that.
You're saying faith is practically useless. How about when a scientist begins a study with faith that the formulas he is using (such as Newton's second law for example) is logically proven to be true? Does he not have faith?

ps. I find it interesting that so many threads which do not directly relate to God always end up with arguments about God. Now that is interesting.
 

Related Threads on Maybe this world is another planet's hell.

  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
3K
Replies
50
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
37
Views
7K
Replies
12
Views
412
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
1K
Replies
28
Views
527
Replies
30
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
22
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
5K
Top