MCNP5, dose calculation, subcritical system

• Thread starter Kashif
  • Start date
Greetings to all
need forum members help regarding MCNP5 college assignment.
The task is to calculate dose from a system comprising of a neutron source surrounded by natural uranium. the system is subcritical.
The problem is how to calculate dose due to fissions in the uranium because dose from neutron source can be calculated separately but i don't know how to incorporate dose due to fissions.
which tally and how i should use?

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Greetings to all
need forum members help regarding MCNP5 college assignment.
The task is to calculate dose from a system comprising of a neutron source surrounded by natural uranium. the system is subcritical.
The problem is how to calculate dose due to fissions in the uranium because dose from neutron source can be calculated separately but i don't know how to incorporate dose due to fissions.
which tally and how i should use?
Is one talking about dose from neutrons, or neutrons, gammas and beta particles. One simply needs to know the energy of the neutrons (and gammas and betas, if including those), and the fission rate.

Likes Kashif
Is one talking about dose from neutrons, or neutrons, gammas and beta particles. One simply needs to know the energy of the neutrons (and gammas and betas, if including those), and the fission rate.
basically the dose from neutron plus gammas is required. like we have to calculate dose a the surface of sphere filled with enriched uranium plus a point neutron source at center. in this case how we should define SOURCE TERM in MCNP5.