• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

MCQ : Comparing characteristics of two photons

• Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two photons.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am surely making some very silly mistake in this problem . Presuming linear momenta means magnitude of momentum , to me all four options look correct .

a) since wavelengths are same , energy is same which means momentum is same .option a) is correct .

Similarly b) , c) , d) are correct .

Or is it that the question is considering momentum as a vector (which it is ) but generally in these problems only magnitude of momentum is considered .

If this is the case , option d) is correct .

Please let me know which is correct .

Attachments

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think the question wants you to consider momentum as a vector. Compare (a) and (d). Only one of them can be correct.

I think the question wants you to consider momentum as a vector. Compare (a) and (d). Only one of them can be correct.
I think d) will be correct .

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I agree.

In the relation E = Pc for a photon, are both the terms on RHS (momentum and speed ) treated as vectors and is it that a dot product is taken so as to get the energy term E ?

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the relation E = Pc for a photon, are both the terms on RHS (momentum and speed ) treated as vectors and is it that a dot product is taken so as to get the energy term E ?
##E=pc## is a scalar equation containing scalars only. I cannot think of a situation in which the momentum and the velocity are in different directions. Can you?

No :smile:

I asked because E = Pc doesn't involve vectors whereas in the OP direction of momentum vector was to be considered while relating to wavelength (energy ) .

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No :smile:
I asked because E = Pc doesn't involve vectors whereas in the OP direction of momentum vector was to be considered while relating to wavelength (energy ) .
Yes, but as you have gathered already by now only (d) is necessarily correct. However, all four answers would be correct if the two photons travel in the same direction. The way one answers this question depends on one's assumptions. In my opinion it's not a well-crafted question because it leaves room for ambiguity. A well-crafted ##N## choice question should have one necessarily correct answer and ##N-1## choices that cannot possibly be correct.

Last edited:
Thanks !