MCQ : Comparing characteristics of two photons

• Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, all four answers are correct for a photon if one assumes that momentum and speed are vectors in the same direction.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Two photons.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am surely making some very silly mistake in this problem . Presuming linear momenta means magnitude of momentum , to me all four options look correct .

a) since wavelengths are same , energy is same which means momentum is same .option a) is correct .

Similarly b) , c) , d) are correct .

Or is it that the question is considering momentum as a vector (which it is ) but generally in these problems only magnitude of momentum is considered .

If this is the case , option d) is correct .

Please let me know which is correct .

Attachments

• Two photons.jpg
    Two photons.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question wants you to consider momentum as a vector. Compare (a) and (d). Only one of them can be correct.

Likes Jahnavi
kuruman said:
I think the question wants you to consider momentum as a vector. Compare (a) and (d). Only one of them can be correct.

I think d) will be correct .

I agree.

Likes Jahnavi
In the relation E = Pc for a photon, are both the terms on RHS (momentum and speed ) treated as vectors and is it that a dot product is taken so as to get the energy term E ?

Jahnavi said:
In the relation E = Pc for a photon, are both the terms on RHS (momentum and speed ) treated as vectors and is it that a dot product is taken so as to get the energy term E ?
##E=pc## is a scalar equation containing scalars only. I cannot think of a situation in which the momentum and the velocity are in different directions. Can you?

No :smile:

I asked because E = Pc doesn't involve vectors whereas in the OP direction of momentum vector was to be considered while relating to wavelength (energy ) .

Jahnavi said:
No :smile:
I asked because E = Pc doesn't involve vectors whereas in the OP direction of momentum vector was to be considered while relating to wavelength (energy ) .
Yes, but as you have gathered already by now only (d) is necessarily correct. However, all four answers would be correct if the two photons travel in the same direction. The way one answers this question depends on one's assumptions. In my opinion it's not a well-crafted question because it leaves room for ambiguity. A well-crafted ##N## choice question should have one necessarily correct answer and ##N-1## choices that cannot possibly be correct.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

1. What is an MCQ?

An MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) is a type of question format commonly used in exams and assessments. It presents a question or statement with a list of possible answers, and the test-taker must choose the correct option from the list.

2. Why is it important to compare characteristics of two photons?

Comparing the characteristics of two photons allows scientists to better understand the properties of light and how it behaves. It can also help in the development of new technologies and applications that utilize light, such as in telecommunications and medical imaging.

3. What are some characteristics that can be compared between two photons?

Some characteristics that can be compared between two photons include their wavelength, frequency, energy, polarization, and direction of propagation.

4. How are two photons distinguished from each other?

Two photons can be distinguished from each other based on their unique combination of characteristics. For example, two photons with different wavelengths, frequencies, and polarizations can be easily differentiated from each other.

5. What is the significance of comparing two photons with the same characteristics?

Comparing two photons with the same characteristics can provide valuable insights into the consistency and reliability of measurements and experiments. It can also help in confirming the accuracy of scientific theories and models relating to the behavior of light.