Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean and autocorrrelation function

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to solve a random process problem:

"Let [itex]x(n) = v(n) + 3v(n-1)[/itex] where [itex]v(n)[/itex] is a sequence of independent random variables with mean µ and variance s². Whats its mean and autocorrelation function? Is this process stationary? Justifiy."

To discover the mean, I applied the expected value at x(n):

[itex] E[x(n)] = E[ v(n) ] + 3 E[v(n-1)] = \mu + 3\mu = 4\mu[/itex]

To obtain the autocorrelation function:

[itex]r(n_1,n_2) = E[x(n_1)x(n_2)] = E[v(n_1)v(n_2) +3v(n_1)v(n_2 -1) + 3v(n_1-1)v(n_2) + 9v(n_1 -1)v(n_2-1)] [/itex]

Since v(n) is an independent sequence..
    [itex]r(n_1,n_2) = E[v(n_1)] E[v(n_2)] + 3E[v(n_1)] E[v(n_2-1)] + 3 E[v(n_1-1)] E[v(n_2)] + 9 E[v(n_1 -1 ) ] E[v(n_2 -1)] [/itex]

But [itex]E[v(n)] = \mu[/itex], then

[itex]r(n_1,n_2) = \mu^2 + 3\mu^2 + 3 \mu^2 + 9 \mu^2 = 16\mu^2 [/itex]

I'm afraid that I made mistake evaluating the autocorrelation function..So, is there any error? If yes, could someone correct me? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your mistake is here
    Cross-correlation is defined as

[itex]\rho_j=\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} x_k y_{k+j} [/itex]

so the factorization you tried to do is not allowed. (Note that definitions vary. Sometimes c-correlation is defined as

[itex]\rho_j=\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} (x_k - \mu_x)(y_{k+j} - \mu_y)[/itex]

instead. Use the definition from your text or class.)

Modify this to fit your problem and it should work out better.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If n1 and n2 differ by 1, then one of the terms of r(n1,n2) cannot be split up as a product of expectations, since the argument for both v's in the product would be the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook