Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean and s.d. of product of two variables

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not a math wizard and now I need to calculate the mean and s.d. of the product of two variables. Apparently there is a delta method that should be able to do the trick, but I don't know how to apply it. I have SPSS, should that be able to help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    In general you need to use an approximation method (e.g. Taylor series) or simulation.

A useful formula is: E[XY] = E[X]E[Y] + Cov[X,Y]. This assumes you know the covariance between X and Y.

As for the formulas, Y = g(X) is approximated around the mean of X, m, as g(m) + (X - m)g'(m) + (X - m)^2 g"(m)/2. In a first order approximation the second-order term (X - m)^2 g"(m)/2 is assumed zero, so I can write Y = g(m) + (X - m)g'(m) and therefore E[Y] = E[g(m) + (X - m)g'(m)] = E[g(m)] + E[(X - m)g'(m)]. Since m is a constant, for an arbitrary function h and an arbitrary random variable Z, E[h(m)] = h(m) and E[Z h(m)] = h(m)E[Z]. Hence E[Y] = g(m) + g'(m)E[(X - m)] = g(m) + g'(m)(E[X] - m) = g(m), because E[X] = m.

In a second-order approximation, you have the additional term E[(X - m)^2 g"(m)/2] = g"(m)E[(X - m)^2]/2 = g"(m)Var[X]/2.

EnumaElish

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?