Mean and Variance of Random Walk

In summary, the conversation discusses the results for a discrete-time random walk defined by Xt = Xt-1 + et, where the et's are i.i.d. normal(0,σ2). The results state that for t≧1, the expectation of Xt is 0 and the variance is tσ2. However, the justification for these results is not provided and there is confusion about how to calculate the expectation at time t-1. After some discussion and clarifications, it is determined that the results can be derived using the linear properties of expectation and variance, and it is assumed that X0 = 0.
kingwinner
I'm reading a stat textbook and it says the following:

Let a discrete-time random walk be defined by Xt = Xt-1 + et, where the et's are i.i.d. normal(0,σ2). Then for t≧1,

(i) E(Xt) = 0
(ii) Var(Xt) = t σ2

However, the textbook doesn't have a lot of justifications for these results and I don't understand why (i) and (ii) are necessarily true here.
For example, E(Xt) = E(Xt-1 +et) = E(Xt-1) + E(et), but how can you calculate E(Xt-1)?

Can someone please explain in more detail?
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:
I'm reading a stat textbook and it says the following:

Let a discrete-time random walk be defined by Xt = Xt-1 + et, where the et's are i.i.d. normal(0,σ2). Then for t≧1,

(i) E(Xt) = 0
(ii) Var(Xt) = t σ2

However, the textbook doesn't have a lot of justifications for these results and I don't understand why (i) and (ii) are necessarily true here.
For example, E(Xt) = E(Xt-1 +et) = E(Xt-1) + E(et), but how can you calculate E(Xt-1)?

Can someone please explain in more detail?
Thanks a lot!

Hey kingwinner.

For those results, just use the linear results for expectation and variance. You know that one increment of the random walk has a certain distribution, and you also know that each increment is independent of each other.

Expectation should be straight forward, but for variance you have to use the result that each increment is independent which makes the covariance term zero.

With this information you should be able to derive the results. (If you are wondering about the linear results you need, a statistics book should provide them with a proof, but I can give you hints if you need them).

Thanks for the help! However, my problem is not with the basic linearity results. I understand these.

Here is my problem...
E(Xt)
= E(Xt-1 + et)
= E(Xt-2 +et-1 + et)
= E(Xt-3 +et-2 +et-1 + et)
=...?

But I have no idea where to stop. No matter where I stop, I would end up with an E(Xj) for some j, and I don't see any way of calculating E(Xj).

Thanks!

kingwinner said:
Thanks for the help! However, my problem is not with the basic linearity results. I understand these.

Here is my problem...
E(Xt)
= E(Xt-1 + et)
= E(Xt-2 +et-1 + et)
= E(Xt-3 +et-2 +et-1 + et)
=...?

But I have no idea where to stop. No matter where I stop, I would end up with an E(Xj) for some j, and I don't see any way of calculating E(Xj).

Thanks!

You fix the number of increments to be a constant, and then derive the results using this fact.

From this you will have a finite number of "e" terms and you use that to get your identities.

Just to let you know, there are subjects of study which deal with convergence of sets of "many" random variables, but for this kind of problem, you deal with a finite number of increments to get your results.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the idea of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction" ? You could use this if you want a formal proof. The idea is simple. If you want to prove that some statement is true for all the positive integers, you prove two things:

(1) It's true for 1.
(2) If it's true for n, then it's also true for n+1.

Once you've shown these two things, you've shown it's true for all positive integers.

So, in your case, show that (1) E(X1) = 0, and (2) If E(Xt) = 0, then E(Xt+1) = 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, but the problem is how we can show that E(X1) = 0?? This is where I'm stuck...

X1 = e1.

pmsrw3 said:
X1 = e1.

hmm...why? How can we prove this?

kingwinner said:
hmm...why? How can we prove this?
That's part of the definition of the random walk. Apparently, if the quote you gave is complete, that isn't mentioned right there, but it should be somewhere in the book.

Certainly, if it is NOT defined to be 0 at time zero (or at some time), the inference E(X) = 0 is not justified. Rather, you would have for [itex]t \ge 1[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_t]=X_0[/itex].

EDIT: That wasn't very clear, What I meant is, [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_0]=0[/itex] is part of the definition of the random walk.

The statement of the theorem itself has no indication about how Xo is defined.

But in the brief justifications below it says "WLOG, we can ASSUME X0=0 and so Xt=e1+e2+...+et. The results follow."

So they are assuming X0=0, but why is this WLOG?? If X0=100, or if X0~Normal(mean=100, variance=1000), then the results of the theorem won't be true, right??

And also, how do we know that X0=0? Is this always the case?

Thanks!

kingwinner said:
The statement of the theorem itself has no indication about how Xo is defined.

But in the brief justifications below it says "WLOG, we can ASSUME X0=0 and so Xt=e1+e2+...+et. The results follow."

So they are assuming X0=0, but why is this WLOG?? If X0=100, or if X0~Normal(mean=100, variance=1000), then the results of the theorem won't be true, right??

And also, how do we know that X0=0? Is this always the case?
Well, that is completely new to me. I have never seen a definition of the discrete random walk that didn't define it as starting at zero, I see no justification whatever for assuming it if it is not so defined, and, as you say, the conclusion E[X] = 0 is wrong if X_0 is not 0.

You could justify assuming WLOG that X0=0 if you sought to prove that E[X] = X_0, because you can always define Y_t = X_t - X_0. But I would have to say this is just wrong.

kingwinner said:
OK, but the problem is how we can show that E(X1) = 0?? This is where I'm stuck...

Hint: What kind of distribution is it and what are the parameters of the distribution?

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes a process where a variable moves randomly over time, with no specific trend or direction. It is often used to model the behavior of financial markets and the movement of particles in physics.

2. How is the mean of a random walk calculated?

The mean of a random walk is calculated by taking the average of all the steps taken in the walk. This can be done by adding up the values of each step and dividing by the number of steps taken.

3. What does the mean of a random walk represent?

The mean of a random walk represents the average value that the variable will reach over time. It is also known as the expected value or the long-term average of the walk.

4. How is the variance of a random walk calculated?

The variance of a random walk is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each step and the mean of the walk, and then dividing by the number of steps. This measures the spread or variability of the walk's values around the mean.

5. What does the variance of a random walk represent?

The variance of a random walk represents the degree of uncertainty or risk associated with the walk. A higher variance means that the walk is more likely to deviate from its expected value, while a lower variance indicates a more stable and predictable behavior.