Mean motion of Halley's comet: units for semi-major axis and angular frequency

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Deadstar
Messages
99
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find out the mean motion of Halleys Comet using the equation.

[tex]n = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{a^3}}[/tex]

where we have taken the mass of Halleys comet to be negligible compared to the sun, M is the mass of the sun and a is the semi major axis.

The Attempt at a Solution




My question is what unit do I take a to be (i.e AU? m?). Nothing seems to give me an answer that makes sense.

And what units should n actually have? I seem to think it should be in revolutions per day but I'm not quite sure what the above formula is actually giving me. It would seem to be [tex]ms^{-1}[/tex] (or square root of, whatever that means...) if we take a in meters but then I get an answer of around [tex]2.6^10^{-9}[/tex] which is clearly wrong!

P.S. I'm a mathematician which is why I have zero grasp of units...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Deadstar! :smile:

If you put SI units in, you always get SI units out.

As you know, GMm/r2 is a force, ie mass times acceleration, and so has dimensions of ML/T2

So G has dimensions of L3/MT2,

and so √(GM/a3) has dimensions of 1/T, and will have units of s-1. :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Deadstar! :smile:

If you put SI units in, you always get SI units out.

As you know, GMm/r2 is a force, ie mass times acceleration, and so has dimensions of ML/T2

So G has dimensions of L3/MT2,

and so √(GM/a3) has dimensions of 1/T, and will have units of s-1. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim.

This is actually what I got as well (not sure where that ms^-1 came from, might have been a mistype...) from using a different formula to derive the units.

So, I'm now getting 2.6x10^(-9) as my answer.

What is this telling me exactly? The change in angle per second? I can't seem to find any info on mean motion except the very small wikipedia link.
 
Hi Deadstar! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm guessing it's either radians per second or revolutions per second.

I've not seen the formula before … where did you get it from?
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Deadstar! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm guessing it's either radians per second or revolutions per second.

I've not seen the formula before … where did you get it from?


Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_motion

Although note that, M + m was taken to be just M as the comets mass was negligible compared to the sun.
 
I should also say that I will then be using the formula in Keplers equation.

[tex]n(t-\tau) = E - e \sin(E)[/tex]

Where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the time of pericentre passage
E is the eccentric anomaly
e is the eccentricity

I'm trying to find E given some time t which I have.
 
Well, it says it's the "angular rate", ie radians per second, but it gives no references, and I have no idea whether that's correct. :redface: