Meaning of phase transitions in lattice gauge theories

In summary: I forget the exact terminology now.In summary, these concepts seem to be related to your question, which is trying to understand the importance of phase transitions in beta mass plane in lattice simulations.
diegzumillo
Hi all

Decided to post in 'beyond standard model' because lattice gauge theories are usually used to explore these models. Hope that's all right.

So in lattice simulations, phase transitions in beta mass plane seem to have an important meaning. I understand phase transitions from a mathematical stand point and its simple interpretations in Ising model, as ferromagnetic and paramagnetic phases. But whenever lattice is used to study QCD or QCD-like theories, this phase transition seems to acquire some importance that just isn't obvious to me. From context I can tell it's related to the model being confining or not, which I can more or less anticipate, seeing how beta is inversely proportional to the coupling constant, but that's as far as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
diegzumillo said:
Hi all

Decided to post in 'beyond standard model' because lattice gauge theories are usually used to explore these models. Hope that's all right.

So in lattice simulations, phase transitions in beta mass plane seem to have an important meaning. I understand phase transitions from a mathematical stand point and its simple interpretations in Ising model, as ferromagnetic and paramagnetic phases. But whenever lattice is used to study QCD or QCD-like theories, this phase transition seems to acquire some importance that just isn't obvious to me. From context I can tell it's related to the model being confining or not, which I can more or less anticipate, seeing how beta is inversely proportional to the coupling constant, but that's as far as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

It is a little hard to know what you are asking, which I don't fault you for because it sounds like the main problem is, in part, knowing how to pose the question you really want to ask. I'll mention a couple of concepts that seem related to see if this is what you are interested in or if I'm not getting what you are asking at all.

When QCD undergoes a transition from being confining to being not confining, that non-confining phase is called a quark-gluon plasma. The linked Wikipedia article on this topic explains its significance:

QCD is one part of the modern theory of particle physics called the Standard Model. Other parts of this theory deal with electroweak interactions and neutrinos. The theory of electrodynamics has been tested and found correct to a few parts in a billion. The theory of weak interactions has been tested and found correct to a few parts in a thousand. Perturbative forms of QCD have been tested to a few percent. Perturbative models assume relatively small changes from the ground state, i.e. relatively low temperatures and densities, which simplifies calculations at the cost of generality. In contrast, non-perturbative forms of QCD have barely been tested. The study of the QGP, which has both a high temperature and density, is part of this effort to consolidate the grand theory of particle physics.

The study of the QGP is also a testing ground for finite temperature field theory, a branch of theoretical physics which seeks to understand particle physics under conditions of high temperature. Such studies are important to understand the early evolution of our universe: the first hundred microseconds or so. It is crucial to the physics goals of a new generation of observations of the universe (WMAP and its successors). It is also of relevance to Grand Unification Theories which seek to unify the three fundamental forces of nature (excluding gravity).

As I said, I'm not sure if this answer your question or not, because it isn't clear what you question is.

On the other side of the UV (i.e. high energy) phenomena of QGP in the infrared (low energy) of QCD is asymptotic freedom (which is also in a sense non-confining at the immediate micro-level), because the QCD coupling constant gets very small at both low and high energies, while it peaks at approximately the energy scale of a nucleon like a proton or neutron. A nice historical review of the discovery of asymptotic freedom can be found in this article.

Asymptotic freedom could be viewed as a phase, although I'm not sure that this would be a conventional terminology for asymptotic freedom in the IR. In infrared QCD one of the big open questions in QCD is whether the QCD coupling constant goes to zero at negligible energy scales or to a low but finite and non-zero fixed point. This his important implications that go to the mathematical rigor and structure and consistency of QCD as a theory.

A phase diagram for QCD might also be useful to you in making sense of the questions you are asking (I tried but can't figure out how to get it into the body of the post).

Other less commonly known but hypothesized phase is a color-flavor-lock phase at high energy scales but low temperatures, and non-CFL quark liquids at similarly low temperatures but energy scales intermediate between CFL and hadronic matter, both of which might be found within neutron stars.

FWIW, lattice QCD is not really beyond the Standard Model, even when non-physical values of physical constants like the pion mass and non-physical numbers of color charges or quark flavors are used to asymptotically estimate the physical QCD behavior. Lattice QCD is pretty much ordinary SM QCD physics.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
I know it can be hard to answer vague questions. Thanks for the effort! it actually did help. There is a constant struggle between relating lattice models with finite volume with the phases of continuum limit (QCD) and I didn't have the full picture of what the actual QCD phase space looked like (or can look like).

One more thing I learned is that the quark condensate is one of the things changing in this transition, and that helps make sense of it. If the vacuum expectation value goes from almost zero to a larger-than-almost-zero value it could mean some symmetry got broken in the continuum limit, and if we're talking about a lattice that tries to imitate QCD I guess one could infer that transition pinpoints loss of chiral symmetry. Maybe. Depending on how that behaves as volume increases.

Lots of "I guess", "I think", "maybe", "if" here but things are clearing up.

Hey again. Was about to make a new topic but the title\topic of this one is still appropriate so I'll just revive it. Let me know if creating a new one is more appropriate.

So as I'm reading through a book and some papers about lattice one thing often mentioned is the continuum limit. Seems pretty simple to me; you take lattice spacing to zero. However a strong importance is given to second order phase transitions and it's never made abundantly obvious what this critical point means to the continuum limit, except that it's important.

My current understanding of it is that since correlation length* diverges at this critical point, we know that lattice effects (small scale phenomena) will be irrelevant, so whatever effective theory we want to approach with lattice is probably being described by the parameters near this critical point.

But, again, this is never made obvious anywhere I read so I'm pretty uncertain about this. Surely the continuum limit at other points are also relevant and the continuum theory we want to reach must exist at other points away from critical point. Does that mean the continuum theory is plagued by small distance effects at other points in parameter space?

* Correlation length ##\xi## is the parameter describing the rate the correlation between two points decrease with distance ##\propto e^{-|x-y|/\xi}##

1. What is a phase transition in lattice gauge theories?

A phase transition in lattice gauge theories refers to a sudden change in the state or behavior of a physical system as it reaches a critical point. In the context of lattice gauge theories, this can refer to changes in the structure or behavior of the underlying lattice, as well as changes in the properties of the particles described by the theory.

2. How do phase transitions occur in lattice gauge theories?

Phase transitions in lattice gauge theories occur when the system reaches a critical point, where the energy or other physical quantities of the system change dramatically. This can be induced by changing external parameters such as temperature or pressure, or by changing the parameters of the lattice itself.

3. What is the significance of phase transitions in lattice gauge theories?

Phase transitions in lattice gauge theories are important because they provide insights into the fundamental properties and behavior of matter at a microscopic level. They can also help researchers understand the behavior of complex systems, such as those found in condensed matter physics and quantum chromodynamics.

4. How are phase transitions studied in lattice gauge theories?

Phase transitions in lattice gauge theories are studied using a variety of methods, including numerical simulations, analytical calculations, and experimental observations. These techniques allow researchers to explore the behavior of the system at different energy scales and to identify the critical points where phase transitions occur.

5. Can phase transitions in lattice gauge theories be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, phase transitions in lattice gauge theories can be observed in real-world systems, such as in the behavior of superfluids, superconductors, and magnets. These systems exhibit similar properties and behaviors as predicted by lattice gauge theories, providing evidence for the validity of these theoretical models.