Order parameter, symmetry breaking Landau style

In summary, the Landau Ginzburg paradigm is a phenomenological model of 2nd order phase transitions. It involves guessing that the free energy can be expanded as a configuration integral of a functional of a local order parameter. This allows for the application of field theory technologies such as RG flow and fixed point analysis. However, there is no clear definition of what an order parameter must satisfy beyond phenomenological consideration. Some possible criteria include being 0 in one phase and non-zero in the phase that breaks symmetry, being local or non-local, being a physical quantity, and being a macroscopic variable that can be measured on a macroscopic scale. Order parameters can be subjective and there is no "canonical" way to define them. They are
paralleltransport
TL;DR Summary
I'd like to understand what people mean by an order parameter
Hi all,

I am somewhat familiar the Landau Ginzburg paradigm for phase transition. My understanding is that it is a phenomological model of 2nd order phase transitions by "guessing" that the free energy can be expanded a configuration integral (path integral) of a functional of a local order parameter.

In math the guess would look like this:
exp(F)∝∫exp(∫ddxL(ϕ))exp⁡(F)∝∫Dϕexp⁡(∫ddxL(ϕ)) for some order scalar order parameter ϕϕ.

Once that is done, one can apply all the field theory technologies that studies such (path) integral (RG flow, fixed point etc...).

However when I read papers, I notice there is no clear definition of what an order parameter must satisfy beyond pheonomological consideration.

I'd like to ask if the following must be true:

1) it must be 0 in some phase and non-zero in the phase that breaks the symmetry. Therefore defining an order parameter must be with respect to some broken symmetry.

2) it can be local or non-local although landau symmetry breaking theory is concerned with local order parameter (for example, Wilson loop expectation value and Chern Numbers are non-local order parameters).

3) it must be a physical quantity (for gauge theories, one cannot use charged operators as order parameter since they transform non-trivially under the gauge group)... this seems a bit like a tautology but people often cite elitzur's theorem to justify this, I'm not sure why it's a big deal it seems a bit obvious to me.

4) it has to be a macroscopic variable and can be measured on macroscopic scale (its fluctuations diverge at the phase transition)
* one has to measure it on scales >> lattice spacing so that it can be relatively UV insensitive. I have in mind averaging magnetic spins over mesoscopic scale for the O(N) model.

I feel like order parameters are ultimately very subjective. There doesn't seem to be a "canonical" way to define it, but maybe I'm very naive.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at how L&L first introduce and then use an order parameter in book 5.

I never though that much about the meaning of order parameter, but I am a bit concerned about this statement:
paralleltransport said:
it can be local or non-local although landau symmetry breaking theory is concerned with local order parameter (for example, Wilson loop expectation value and Chern Numbers are non-local order parameters).
Topological phase transitions are an other beast, and they are not necessary related to any symmetry breaking. You can not define an order parameter and a LG theory to describe such transitions, and the Chern Number is thus referred as a topological invariant, that is, a constant quantity that characterize a single topological phase. I don't know how you would work in TQFT, but do not mix LG symmetry breaking and topological transitions.

dRic2 said:
I never though that much about the meaning of order parameter, but I am a bit concerned about this statement:

Topological phase transitions are an other beast, and they are not necessary related to any symmetry breaking. You can not define an order parameter and a LG theory to describe such transitions, and the Chern Number is thus referred as a topological invariant, that is, a constant quantity that characterize a single topological phase. I don't know how you would work in TQFT, but do not mix LG symmetry breaking and topological transitions.

Hi:

I agree that topological phase transitions do not fall under the category of symmetry breaking phase transition. I was just confused because I have seen Chern Numbers described as order parameters in various seminars in HEP, hence the confusion. Thank you for clarifying that order parameter only make is defined for symmetry breaking phase transition.

[Note however that in that context, Wilson loops do not qualify as order parameters either. Yet people refer to them as "order parameters" in field theory textbooks for deconfinement transition of gauge theories]

Last edited:

1. What is an order parameter in the context of symmetry breaking?

An order parameter is a measure of the degree of symmetry in a system. It is a physical quantity that changes as the system undergoes a phase transition, such as from a liquid to a solid. In the context of symmetry breaking, the order parameter is a key concept in Landau theory, which describes how symmetry breaking can occur in a system.

2. How does symmetry breaking occur according to Landau theory?

In Landau theory, symmetry breaking occurs when a system reaches a critical point, where the energy of the system is at a minimum. At this point, the system can no longer maintain its initial symmetry and must choose a new, lower energy state. This leads to the formation of an order parameter and the breaking of the original symmetry.

3. What is the Landau free energy and how is it related to symmetry breaking?

The Landau free energy is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a system as a function of the order parameter. It is used in Landau theory to analyze the behavior of a system near a critical point. The formation of an order parameter and the breaking of symmetry are reflected in the shape of the Landau free energy curve.

4. Can symmetry breaking occur in all systems?

Symmetry breaking can occur in many physical systems, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, it is most commonly observed in systems that exhibit a phase transition, such as the transition from a liquid to a solid. In these systems, the breaking of symmetry is a key mechanism for the formation of new phases.

5. What are some real-world applications of symmetry breaking and Landau theory?

Symmetry breaking and Landau theory have important applications in various fields of physics, including condensed matter physics, particle physics, and cosmology. For example, they are used to explain the behavior of superconductors and superfluids, as well as the formation of magnetic domains in materials. In cosmology, Landau theory is used to study the behavior of the early universe and the formation of structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.