What Does U.B.W. Mean in Chemistry?

• Thread starter lvsiy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a shortcut in chemistry referred to as "u.b.w", which stands for Units By Weight. The speaker is new to chemistry and has not been able to find any information related to this abbreviation. They mention that some abbreviations may never come up in academic instruction and may only be used within certain industries or companies. They also mention another abbreviation, OWF, which stands for "on the weight of the formula".
lvsiy
TL;DR Summary
whats the definition of "u.b.w"
Hi im new to chemistry and recently i started to read a chemistry book and saw a shortcut called "u.b.w" it was always after some compound (like. nitric acid/0.9 u.b.w.) tried to looking it up and nothing related showed i think its some kind of mass but like i said im new to chemistry. Sorry for my english but english is not my main language. I would be grateful if someone replies.

<Mentor note: deleted a hyperlink that doesn't link to an actual post.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Units By Weight?

Likes malawi_glenn, Bystander, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Some abbreviations may never come-up during academic instruction; even some kinds of use of terminology. One may find some abbreviation in use in a certain industry or within some very small few companies. There can be found, OWF for "on the weight of the formula"; for which "formula" is a mixture or blend of materials.

1. What does U.B.W. stand for in chemistry?

U.B.W. stands for "ultimate boiling water".

2. How is U.B.W. used in chemistry?

U.B.W. is used as a measurement of the maximum temperature at which a substance can exist as a liquid at atmospheric pressure.

3. What is the significance of U.B.W. in chemistry?

The U.B.W. of a substance can give insight into its physical properties and behavior under different conditions.

4. How is U.B.W. different from boiling point?

The boiling point is the temperature at which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas, while U.B.W. is the maximum temperature at which a substance can exist as a liquid.

5. Can U.B.W. be used to compare different substances?

Yes, U.B.W. can be used to compare the boiling points of different substances, as it is a standardized measurement of the maximum temperature at which a substance can exist as a liquid.