1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measures of Central Tendency & t-86

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    The statistics course I'm taking is a technology based course, & goes hand in hand with the ti-83. I happened to have a ti-86 & need some help.

I understand how to calculate the mean by hand & by the calculator for most circumstances. What I don't is when there are classes, for example

Class Frequency
    10-19 8
    20-29 16
    30-39 21
    40-49 11
    50-59 4

Now, I can compute the approximate mean by hand with the formula in the book. The answer gives a mean = 32.83 & a standard deviation = 11.06. The answer checks with the back of the book. How can I place this information into the ti-86 & get the same results?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2
    You will have to enter a list. To solve the following problem, Enter a list of 8 15s 16 25s 21 35s etc. Then you can pull all the 1-Var Stats of this list. It should give you the proper mean, and variance.
  4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help, what actually happened was I was getting the xstat & ystat mixed up with fstat... The classes as you pointed had to be placed in the xstat & then the frequency in the fstat. Seems kinda silly, not sure why I didn't get it before.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?