Measuring Gravitational Redshift due to Galaxies without GR

In summary, astrophysicists can measure the redshift of electromagnetic waves from galaxies due to gravity without using General Relativity by estimating the amount of redshift and looking at differences in red and blue-shifted lines in the galactic spectrum. This is because rotational curves are based on the width of the spectrum, not the exact position of the redshift caused by gravity. Therefore, they can determine that the redshift measured is primarily due to kinematic effects rather than gravitational redshifts.
quantumfoam
Hi guys.

How do astrophysicists measure the redshift of electromagnetic waves from galaxies due to gravity without the use of General Relativity? If I can be more specific, how do astrophysicists know that the gravitational redshift of light emitted from some part of a galaxy or galaxy cluster is small relative to kinematic redshifts (if these light emitting components of a galaxy or galaxy cluster are moving away from us of course) without using General Relativity to prove that such a redshift is small? For example, when creating the rotation curves for galaxies, it is often claimed that the redshifts measured are significantly due to kinematic effects rather than due to gravitational redshifts. How do astrophysicists know this without using General Relativity to show that this is true?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, to start with, it does not matter for the rotational curves as you are looking at differences of redshift rather than absolute values.

You can also estimate the amount of redshift by estimating the mass.

I'm sorry. I don't think I understand how it doesn't matter for rotational curves. Could you please explain it a little more?

quantumfoam said:
I'm sorry. I don't think I understand how it doesn't matter for rotational curves. Could you please explain it a little more?
When you measure rotation, you look at red and blue-shifted lines in the galactic (or stellar) spectrum spread symmetrically around the expected line position. It'll produce a symmetrical spread of certain width, corresponding to the difference in velocities between the limb rotating towards you (blue-shifted) and the one rotating away (red-shifted). It doesn't matter where exactly the whole thing is in the spectrum (i.e., how shifted by gravity), since it's the width that gives you rotation data, and it doesn't change.

Thank you very much!

1. How is the gravitational redshift of galaxies measured without using general relativity?

The gravitational redshift of galaxies can be measured through spectroscopic observations. This involves analyzing the light spectrum emitted by the galaxy and looking for any shifts in the wavelengths of the spectral lines. A redshift indicates that the light has been stretched to longer wavelengths, which can be caused by the gravitational pull of the galaxy.

2. What is the significance of measuring gravitational redshift without GR?

Measuring gravitational redshift without using general relativity can provide alternative explanations for the observed redshift of galaxies. It can also help to test and validate the predictions of general relativity and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of gravity.

3. What other factors can cause redshift in galaxies besides gravity?

Aside from gravitational redshift, there are other factors that can contribute to the observed redshift of galaxies. These include the expansion of the universe, the Doppler effect, and the peculiar motion of galaxies.

4. Can measuring gravitational redshift without GR provide evidence for alternative theories of gravity?

Yes, measuring gravitational redshift without using general relativity can provide evidence for alternative theories of gravity. By comparing the results of different methods of measuring gravitational redshift, scientists can test the predictions of various theories and determine which one best explains the observed data.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring gravitational redshift without GR?

Measuring gravitational redshift without using general relativity may have limitations in terms of accuracy and precision. It may also be difficult to distinguish between the effects of gravity and other factors that can cause redshift in galaxies. Additionally, alternative theories of gravity may have their own limitations and may not fully explain the observed data.