How important is gravitational red/blueshift for stars?

In summary: An astronomer would assess the mass of the stars in the vicinity of the star being measured to calculate the expected redshift due to gravity. If there are no stars nearby, then the redshift would be entirely due to velocity. If it is in a massive body such as an elliptical galaxy, we can deduce the mass of the galaxy. We can also compare the overall velocity of the galaxy, so we can see an average shift on all stars in the cluster. Some stars will be moving toward us relative to the cluster's motion, while other will be moving away, give us the average movement of the cluster as a whole.We'll know from its orbital properties how fast a given should be moving within the cluster,
Battlemage!
I know that the speed/acceleration of a star can be measured using redshift/blueshift caused by the motion of stars, but I just learned that gravitation also causes redshift and blueshift. Would this not cause some uncertainty into the determining how fast a star is moving away from us? If so, how do astronomers take it into account?

Specifically what I mean is, light coming out of a "gravity well" is redshifted if I'm not mistaken, so if a star is moving toward us, it's light should be blueshifted, but the gravitation also pushes it to be redshifted. Presumably there would be a case where the effects could cancel. So how do you acquire accurate measurements?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We can calculate the expected red/blue shift due to gravity by assessing the mass of the stars in its vicinity. If there are no stars nearby then it red/blue shift will be entirely due to velocity.

If it is in a massive body such as an elliptical galaxy, we can deduce the mass of the galaxy. We can also compare the overall velocity of the galaxy, so we can see an average shift on all stars in the cluster. Some stars will be moving toward us relative to the cluster's motion, while other will be moving away, give us the average movement of the cluster as a whole.

We'll know from its orbital properties how fast a given should be moving within the cluster, so we can compare it's unique shift with that of the cluster.

DaveC426913 said:
We can calculate the expected red/blue shift due to gravity by assessing the mass of the stars in its vicinity. If there are no stars nearby then it red/blue shift will be entirely due to velocity.

If it is in a massive body such as an elliptical galaxy, we can deduce the mass of the galaxy. We can also compare the overall velocity of the galaxy, so we can see an average shift on all stars in the cluster. Some stars will be moving toward us relative to the cluster's motion, while other will be moving away, give us the average movement of the cluster as a whole.

We'll know from its orbital properties how fast a given should be moving within the cluster, so we can compare it's unique shift with that of the cluster.
Thanks. I figured it was something like that. If I understand what you're saying, astronomers gain knowledge of the mass of the object by looking at objects around it, and then compensate accordingly. And further more, the average velocity of groups of bodies should make gravitational issues from individual bodies not very important. Am I on the right track?

Also I'd bet gravitational redshift is mostly negligible in light of the accelerating universe. Would that be a reasonable guess?

One final question: what about redshift caused by a bodies own gravitation? Could the light being produced by the star have a noticeable redshift caused by its own gravity, and if so is there anything beyond looking at the stars around it that is useful for compensating for that? Thanks again for the information.

1. How does gravitational red/blueshift affect the appearance of stars?

The gravitational red/blueshift is a phenomenon that alters the wavelength of light emitted by stars. When a star is moving towards us, its light waves are compressed, resulting in a shorter wavelength and a blue shift. Conversely, when a star is moving away from us, its light waves are stretched, resulting in a longer wavelength and a red shift.

2. Why is gravitational red/blueshift important for studying stars?

Gravitational red/blueshift provides valuable information about the motion and velocity of stars. This can help scientists determine the distance of a star, its direction of movement, and whether it is part of a binary star system. It also allows us to study the effects of gravity on the light emitted by stars, providing insights into the structure of the universe.

3. Can gravitational red/blueshift be observed in all stars?

Yes, gravitational red/blueshift can be observed in all stars. However, it is more noticeable in stars that are moving at high speeds or are located near massive objects such as black holes or neutron stars.

4. How does the strength of gravitational red/blueshift vary for different stars?

The strength of gravitational red/blueshift depends on the mass and distance of the object that is causing the gravitational pull. The closer and more massive the object, the stronger the red/blueshift effect will be on the light emitted by the star.

5. What other factors can contribute to the red/blueshift of starlight?

Apart from gravitational effects, the red/blueshift of starlight can also be influenced by the Doppler effect, which is caused by the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can cause a redshift in the light coming from distant galaxies, known as cosmological redshift.