1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Measuring Objects using Dissimilar Units

Tags:
  1. Aug 27, 2018 #1
    Quantumly speaking: Can speed be measured? If so, why? If not why?
    This is a serious question. Speed involves a distance unit and a time unit. For example .. "ft/sec" .. and it is illogical to divide seconds into feet. Having made this point can speed be quantumly measured and how do you resolve this dilemma i.e calculating objects defined by using dissimilar units.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2018 #2
    This is the part where I think you need more work. What is illogical about wondering how many feet an object travels in 1 second?

4. Aug 27, 2018 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

... or the difference between a carton that holds 12 eggs and a carton that holds 18 eggs? Or the amount that my paycheck will increase if I put in another hour this week (zero, at the pay scale for Physics Forums staff, but that's neither here nor there), or .....

Adding and subtracting quantities expressed in different units is not meaningful, but multiplication and division are precisely defined operations with logical meanings.

5. Aug 27, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It works for sharing sweets amongst n kids and it works for sharing feet out amongst the n seconds that are available.
    Division is an 'allowed' mixed unit or mixed quantity operation. Addition is not; 3 miles + 1 hour has no meaning and 3 miles+1km is not convenient.

6. Aug 27, 2018 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "quantumly measured"?

You can measure the momentum of a particle as accurately as you like, but the more accurately you measure the momentum the less accurately you can measure it's position.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted