Mech. Eng. with an aerospace emphasis?

• Thread starter Ntan58
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
But it all depends on your college. Some colleges are harder than others, and some professors are harder than others. In summary, starting a mechanical engineering major with an aerospace emphasis is doable, though it may be challenging. Your current math skills will also play a role in your success.
Ntan58
Hey guys, newbie to this forum.

I plan on starting my mechanical engineer major this fall. I will be doing it with an aerospace emphasis to it as I would like to work with planes?

How hard would it be? Is it doable? My math is okay. Taking AP calc currently and hope to start out at Calc II my first semester if I pass the test...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "How bad would it be?" It happens all the time. It's a pretty common path into the aerospace industry.

Ntan58 said:
Hey guys, newbie to this forum.

I plan on starting my mechanical engineer major this fall. I will be doing it with an aerospace emphasis to it as I would like to work with planes?

How hard would it be? Is it doable? My math is okay. Taking AP calc currently and hope to start out at Calc II my first semester if I pass the test...

Thanks
Well, Engineering IS hard, in general, but of course it is doable. I know there are degrees in Aerospace Engineering, but a MechE would probably do as well. You will study a lot of fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, materials, controls...

1. What is mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis?

Mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis is a specialized field of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of mechanical systems and components used in the aerospace industry. This includes aircraft, spacecraft, satellites, and other related technologies.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis?

Graduates with a degree in mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis have a wide range of job opportunities in the aerospace industry. This can include roles in design, manufacturing, research and development, systems engineering, and project management.

3. What skills are necessary to excel in this field?

To excel in mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis, one must have a strong foundation in mechanical engineering principles and be able to apply them to the unique challenges of the aerospace industry. Additionally, skills in computer-aided design and analysis, problem-solving, and communication are essential.

4. Are there any specific courses or electives that are recommended for this specialization?

Yes, there are several courses and electives that are recommended for students pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis. These may include aerodynamics, aircraft and spacecraft structures, propulsion systems, and control systems.

5. Is this field constantly evolving and advancing?

Yes, the field of mechanical engineering with an aerospace emphasis is constantly evolving and advancing. With new technologies, materials, and design techniques emerging, it is essential for professionals in this field to stay updated and adapt to these changes in order to remain competitive.