Mechanical engineer who want to work for Biomedical field

In summary, a mechanical student can easily apply their knowledge in mechanical engineering to the biomedical field. Through projects and research, there is a lot of crossover between the two fields and opportunities to work on problems related to both mechanical and biomedical engineering. However, if someone is specifically interested in biomedical research, it would be beneficial to study biomedical engineering.
Kinn Sein
Can a mechanical student easily apply his knowledge of mechanical engineering in Biomedical field? Can a mechanical student easily enter Biomedical field by the time he finish his study?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you can. In my fluid mechanics coures, our project was to do testing on a bladder by making a scale model using dimensional analysis and tracking the urinary flow rate due to changing responses such as the detrusor muscle, sphincter muscle etc.

If you want to do Biomedical Research, you should study biomedical engineering, not mechanical.

My professor is a ME and works at NIH on exactly this problem.

The fluids lab at my uni do a lot of simulations regarding blood flow around anyeurisms, stents and the like. My project supervisor certainly seems to think there's plenty of crossover between the fields.

What is a mechanical engineer working in the biomedical field?

A mechanical engineer working in the biomedical field is a professional who applies principles of mechanical engineering to design, develop, and maintain biomedical equipment and devices used in healthcare. They work to improve the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of medical treatments and procedures.

What skills are necessary for a mechanical engineer to work in the biomedical field?

Some essential skills for a mechanical engineer working in the biomedical field include a strong understanding of mechanics, materials, and manufacturing processes, as well as knowledge of biology and medical terminology. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and project management skills are also important.

What types of projects does a mechanical engineer in the biomedical field work on?

A mechanical engineer in the biomedical field may work on a variety of projects, such as designing and developing medical devices like prosthetics, implants, and surgical instruments. They may also work on improving existing medical equipment and systems, such as imaging technology or hospital equipment.

What educational background is required to become a mechanical engineer in the biomedical field?

To become a mechanical engineer in the biomedical field, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree in biomedical engineering. Continuing education and training in the latest developments in the field are also important for staying current in this rapidly advancing industry.

What are the potential career opportunities for a mechanical engineer in the biomedical field?

A mechanical engineer in the biomedical field may have a variety of career opportunities, including working for medical device companies, research institutions, hospitals, or government agencies. They may also choose to pursue advanced degrees and become researchers or professors in the field. With experience and additional training, they may also advance to leadership roles, such as project manager or department head.