Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical engineering and hand drawings.

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1
    hi all
    I am asking this question for a friend and I hope some of you will give me the right answer.
    if someone is thinking about pursuing a career in Mechanical engineering ,does he have to be worried about hand-drawings in case he is not a good painter?
    or all drawings will be done on the computer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Painters paint pictures and painters paint houses. The term you are looking for is 'draftsman'.
    Most, if not all, finished drafting is done with computers these days. Usually, part of the ME curriculum includes at least one course in computer-aided design, if not computer-aided drafting. Even pictorial illustrations, in full color and with realistic backgrounds, are done on computer, such that the finished product looks almost like a photograph.

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    I think that it is important to be able to sketch an idea for a design or what not by hand. Its the quickest and easiest method to get your point across. Most finished drawings like Steamking said are done on the computer.

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4
    Everyone should be made to do at least some drafting on boards, because it so slow and impossible to change easily, it forces you to pre-think everything you are going to do, and think about design intent.

People who have only ever used 3D, go whizzing off at mach 90 on a model and produce the most awful drawings.

6. Jun 30, 2013 #5
    Replace the words "drafting" and "drawing" with "communication."

I do most of my communication of my ideas and concepts with sketches. I learned how to present my ideas in various views of an object from old-school drafting classes. It ain't rocket science...one can do wonders with a quadrille pad, pencil, and eraser.

When it is time to do final formal documentation, then the modern CAD packages will create permanent drawings for you.

7. Jun 30, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Everything that I design begins as a sketch on paper, preferably in pencil but I'll use my gal's lipstick if it's the only thing available.
    I built my own draughting table by sniping a dining room table from the bar that I worked at (it had been broken off of its base, and so was no longer usable at work). I cut an aluminum ladder into two sections, bolted hinges and nitrogen struts from an Isuzu hatchback, and used eyebolts with sash chains to restrict the elongation. A nice draughting machine rounded it out.
    Now, I just do everything in Inkscape. If it becomes really serious, I'll fire up the G3 and use Illustrator 10. I just purchased TurboCad, but there's no manual for the damned thing so I can't use it. (Don't tell me to open "tutorials" because that shows only how to draw simple shapes and mark dimensions. It's as useless as tits on a nun.)

8. Jul 1, 2013 #7
    thanks a lot for the helpful advices ,I appreciate it.

best;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook