Mechanical engineering and hand drawings.

in summary, most drafts are done with computers these days, but there are still some drawings that are done with pencil and paper.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi all
I am asking this question for a friend and I hope some of you will give me the right answer.
if someone is thinking about pursuing a career in Mechanical engineering ,does he have to be worried about hand-drawings in case he is not a good painter?
or all drawings will be done on the computer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Painters paint pictures and painters paint houses. The term you are looking for is 'draftsman'.
Most, if not all, finished drafting is done with computers these days. Usually, part of the ME curriculum includes at least one course in computer-aided design, if not computer-aided drafting. Even pictorial illustrations, in full color and with realistic backgrounds, are done on computer, such that the finished product looks almost like a photograph.

I think that it is important to be able to sketch an idea for a design or what not by hand. Its the quickest and easiest method to get your point across. Most finished drawings like Steamking said are done on the computer.

Everyone should be made to do at least some drafting on boards, because it so slow and impossible to change easily, it forces you to pre-think everything you are going to do, and think about design intent.

People who have only ever used 3D, go whizzing off at mach 90 on a model and produce the most awful drawings.

Replace the words "drafting" and "drawing" with "communication."

I do most of my communication of my ideas and concepts with sketches. I learned how to present my ideas in various views of an object from old-school drafting classes. It ain't rocket science...one can do wonders with a quadrille pad, pencil, and eraser.

When it is time to do final formal documentation, then the modern CAD packages will create permanent drawings for you.

Everything that I design begins as a sketch on paper, preferably in pencil but I'll use my gal's lipstick if it's the only thing available.
I built my own draughting table by sniping a dining room table from the bar that I worked at (it had been broken off of its base, and so was no longer usable at work). I cut an aluminum ladder into two sections, bolted hinges and nitrogen struts from an Isuzu hatchback, and used eyebolts with sash chains to restrict the elongation. A nice draughting machine rounded it out.
Now, I just do everything in Inkscape. If it becomes really serious, I'll fire up the G3 and use Illustrator 10. I just purchased TurboCad, but there's no manual for the damned thing so I can't use it. (Don't tell me to open "tutorials" because that shows only how to draw simple shapes and mark dimensions. It's as useless as tits on a nun.)

thanks a lot for the helpful advices ,I appreciate it.

best;

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This can include anything from machines and tools to vehicles and aircraft.

2. What is the role of hand drawings in mechanical engineering?

Hand drawings, also known as technical drawings, are an essential tool in mechanical engineering. They allow engineers to communicate their ideas and designs in a clear and precise manner. Hand drawings are often used in the initial stages of design and can also serve as a reference during the manufacturing process.

3. How are hand drawings created in mechanical engineering?

Hand drawings in mechanical engineering are typically created using drafting tools such as pencils, rulers, and compasses. These tools allow engineers to create precise and accurate drawings that can be easily reproduced. With the advancements in technology, hand drawings can also be created using computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. What are the advantages of using hand drawings in mechanical engineering?

Hand drawings have several advantages in mechanical engineering. They are a cost-effective way to communicate designs and ideas, as they do not require expensive equipment or software. Hand drawings also allow for quick modifications and revisions, and they can be easily understood by individuals with different levels of technical knowledge.

5. Are hand drawings still relevant in modern mechanical engineering?

Yes, hand drawings are still relevant in modern mechanical engineering. While CAD software has become more prevalent, hand drawings are still used for initial design concepts, brainstorming, and communicating ideas. Additionally, hand drawings are often required for patent applications and legal purposes.