Mechanical Engineering good career options

In summary, the conversation is about a friend who is graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and is getting married and moving to Indiana. The person asking the question is wondering what career options are available for him and if there are any companies that would hire a fresh graduate. They mention that their friend is considering a janitorial job, but the person giving input suggests staying in his field and suggests using job search websites like Monster.com.
Fooze
Hey all...

I've got a good friend of mine who's graduating this May from University of Alaska Fairbanks with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He's also getting married this July and moving to Indiana (around Warsaw) to be with his wife while she finishes up a degree.

My question is this... for someone like that, what would be good career options? Any idea of where he could work? Or maybe someone that would hire a fresh college graduate to get experience in his field?

At this point, he's getting ready to settle for a janitorial job somewhere and honestly, I think staying in his field would be a better idea.

Thanks so much for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Construction Managent, a M\E\P engineering firm, etc.

There are a vas number of options for an ME, it is a very broad engineering field. He can try browsing Monster.com to see what is out there. I can't imagine why someone would give up on a job hunt before even trying it.

1. What is the job outlook for a career in Mechanical Engineering?

The job outlook for Mechanical Engineering is very positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the demand for new technologies and products, as well as the need for engineers to improve and maintain existing systems.

2. What skills are needed to be successful in a career in Mechanical Engineering?

Successful Mechanical Engineers possess a strong foundation in math, physics, and design principles. They also have excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication and project management skills are also important for career advancement.

3. What industries can Mechanical Engineers work in?

Mechanical Engineers have diverse career options and can work in a variety of industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, energy, and healthcare. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

4. What is the average salary for a Mechanical Engineer?

The average salary for a Mechanical Engineer in the United States is around $88,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience level. Those with advanced degrees or specialized skills may earn higher salaries.

5. How can I advance in my career as a Mechanical Engineer?

To advance in a career as a Mechanical Engineer, one can pursue advanced degrees such as a Master's or Ph.D. They can also obtain professional certifications and licenses, gain experience through internships and on-the-job training, and seek out leadership roles within their organization. Continuous learning and staying updated on the latest technologies and industry trends can also help in career advancement.