Graduate school in Chemical Engineering good for career in industry?

In summary, the poster is in their senior year of a BS Chemical Engineering degree and has been accepted into a fifth-year program to obtain a Master's degree. They are excited about taking advanced courses and potentially volunteering in a professor's research. They have questions about the potential effects of being "overqualified" for jobs with a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, the possibility of finding jobs in other engineering fields with a focus on fluid mechanics, and whether a Master's degree would be beneficial for their goal of working in traditional engineering roles. They also mention the courses they will be taking in their Master's program.
zachucsd
Hello,
My post concerns getting jobs after my Masters degree in Chemical Engineering.
I am currently in my 4th/senior year for a BS Chemical Engineering degree. I got accepted in a fifth-year program, so I can spend one more year at school and get my Masters degree.
I am excited because I love the idea of taking advanced courses on the subjects I love. I didn't plan on doing a research thesis, although I have the option if something inspires me. I was hoping to just volunteer a bit in a professor's research, maybe in environmental fluid dynamics or chemical processing research, not the chemical/materials/nano scale stuff that most ChE research is about.

Question 1: Is it possible that my Master's degree in Chemical Eng will make me appear "overqualified" for some jobs? ("appear," not actually overqualified)

Question 2: I think that if I choose my electives to focus on fluid mechanics, and combined with my heat transfer and fluids coursework, I could find jobs not limited to only chemical engineering, but also perhaps in the fields of mechanical engineering, civil engineering or environmental engineering. Does this idea make sense?

For example, after I have taken graduate level fluid dynamics, maybe I can help design wastewater treatment plants (usually civil) or hydro-electric power engineering or geothermal engineering, etc.

Question 3: I want to be more of a "traditional" engineer who helps design large-scale things, whether it is a large chemical reactor, piping systems, waste-water treatment plants, and other things related to chemical or environmental or mechanical engineering. This differs to some of my Chem-eng peers who seem to be more interested in small-scale laboratory chemical research. As someone who wants to end up in a traditional engineering role, would anyone consider my master's degree a waste of time for any reason?

I feel really good about my Master's program. I have enjoyed all ChE subjects, but always think about jobs not in traditional Chemical Engineering.
I just want to hear different opinions/experience on these questions.
Thanks for any replies!

My graduate classes will be:
Fluid Dynamics A and B
Heat Transfer
Mass Transfer (Diffusion/convection)
Reactor Engineering
Advanced Numerical Methods x2
Electives x2 (I would like to focus on fluid dynamics, compressible gases, or similar)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Q1: Yes
Q2: You can do that already with a ChemE degree. I know people working in instrumentation (EE/MechE type job) as well as control system designs for wastewater (EE/Civil) as a ChemE. Depends on what you want to do. Don't need a masters unless you want to do research.
Q3: Working in Industry teaches you things far different from college. If your goal is for academia/research or laboratories: get a masters in Chemical Engineering.

Otherwise, work in Industry and get an MBA :cool:

1. Is a graduate degree in chemical engineering necessary for a successful career in industry?

While a graduate degree in chemical engineering can certainly provide a solid foundation for a career in industry, it is not always necessary. Many individuals have successful careers in the chemical engineering industry with just a bachelor's degree. However, a graduate degree can provide more specialized knowledge and skills, making an individual more competitive for certain positions and potentially leading to higher salaries.

2. How do graduate programs in chemical engineering differ from undergraduate programs?

Graduate programs in chemical engineering typically focus on more advanced topics and involve more research and independent study. They also usually have smaller class sizes and more opportunities for hands-on experience. Additionally, graduate programs often offer opportunities for networking and collaboration with industry professionals, which can be beneficial for future job prospects.

3. What types of career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in chemical engineering?

Graduates with a degree in chemical engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, consumer products, and more. They may work in roles such as process engineer, research and development scientist, quality control manager, or technical sales representative.

4. How does a graduate degree in chemical engineering prepare an individual for a career in industry?

A graduate degree in chemical engineering provides individuals with advanced knowledge and skills in areas such as process design, data analysis, and problem-solving. It also allows for specialization in a specific area of interest, which can make an individual more competitive for certain roles in industry. Additionally, graduate programs often involve research projects that can provide hands-on experience and demonstrate an individual's ability to apply their knowledge to real-world problems.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that are highly valued by employers in the chemical engineering industry?

In addition to technical knowledge and skills, employers in the chemical engineering industry often look for individuals who have strong communication, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities. Experience with industry-relevant software and technologies, as well as internships or co-op experiences, can also be highly valued by employers.