1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical engineering if you hated Physics I (Mechanics)

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering that if one disliked Physics I (Mechanics & Waves), would they hate mechanical engineering as well? How closely related are the two? Here is the curriculum for my Physics I course: "The basic laws and principles of Newtonian mechanics; oscillations and waves". So kinematics, dynamics, circular motion, angular/linear momentum, sound, moments of inertia, etc. In high school as well I really didn't like mechanics at all.

Similarly, would electricity & magnetism (Physics II) tell me if I would enjoy EE? Here is a list of courses with descriptions that I am/will be taking: https://docs.google.com/open?id=1O66kLTEvxF9AhCyigWDScEbeQdYAN4NExDxTb8wQc8JH6QZU-_QPtpPpAP3j
    What courses that I enjoy would reflect well into an engineering discipline? I'm guessing:
    programming -> software
    electrical circuits and machines / E&M -> electrical
    behaviour of liquids, solids and gases -> chemical
    engineering statics -> mechanical or civil

Is this accurate? Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    Physics II is a pretty good preview of being an EE major, I think.

Majoring in EE involves a lot of circuit analysis. What you won't see in physics II is computer engineering, signal processing, and control. Especially computer engineering has quite a different feel to it. The rest of EE is mostly in similar spirit to physics II, I think.

I never got too far in ME, but I think if you didn't like mechanics, it's not a good sign.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    behavior of liquids and gasses can be fluid mechanics which is a subject of Mechanical eng.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4
    Not necessarily any of those. All engineers program these days (edit: Okay, not ALL, but I think programming is very useful in any field). Many engineers work with electrical circuitry. "Behavior" of liquids, solids and gases could mean anything from materials engineering to fluid flow analysis in aerospace engineering. And of course, engineering statics/dynamics is used in all disciplines.

Physics II also doesn't have a huge circuit analysis curriculum, at least in my experience, and it's not nearly enough to inspire anything but massive confusion. But I freely admit I may be in the minority on that one. I'm quite content letting that eckle-leckertricitay be handled by smarter people than I.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. Jan 15, 2012 #5
    The proportion of circuit analysis in the class might not be that great, but it is covered, so provided you understand it, it's a good preview, and it's also a good preview of E and M classes for EE. It wasn't until much later that I understood circuits really well. But you sort of get the idea, I think, if you do well in physics II.

7. Jan 15, 2012 #6
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one. For my introductory E&M class, circuits confused the hell out of me. I was perfectly fine with things like Gauss' Law, computing Electric and Magnetic Fields, Ampere's Law etc, but when it came to those damn circuits, I never knew what to do. It seemed like the only topic which other students were comfortable with, but I wasn't. I think the problem for me was that the principles of circuits were never really derived in depth from the basic fundamental laws, at least in my class/book (I've considered taking an EE class just to get rid of this fear of circuits I've built after this past semester). Good thing upper-level E&M doesn't seem to be too big on circuits...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook