1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical engineering so many Choices?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hello all,
    I am a pre-junior mechanical engineering student at Drexel University. I am a non traditional student working on my second bachelors and absolutely love it. I find myself amazed by the fact at my age (33) I have the opportunity to study full time. I will just say for anyone who feels like age is a reason not to go back to school, think about it again, you will appreciate it much more.
    Anyway, I am having a positive dilema, but a dilema non the less. My program offers 5 concentrations within the mechanical major. I can't seem to decide which one I should choose. I am totaly aware this is a decesion that only I can make, but I am just throwing it out there to get some feed back on what others who are in school, or working have to say about these discilplines.

1. Aerospace
    2.Biomechanical
    3.Control Systems
    4.Thermal fluids
    5.Mechanics of Structures.

Any comments on the curriculum, possible employment opportunites, future of the industry would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Mem33

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    I've worked in 4 of the 5. All were fun and interesting. It has been easy to change between them. The biggest change was at age 55. I got my most challenging job yet, doing what I've never done before and loving it. As for growth, I vote for anything in Energy is Medicine.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    Pkruse,

Did you specialize in any of them when you received your bachelors?

Mem33

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    I have a BSE, mechanical. I've never used more than 5% of my education in any job, but each job used a different 5%. I was a machinist, and that has been far more useful than my education. Whoever hires you will plan on training you, so that you will be fully productive within 4 or 5 years..

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    pkruse,
    I am also pursuing my b-tech in mechanical. and i am keen to get into astronomy field. could you suggest me how can i get into it??

with regards
    varun singh

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6
    pkruse,
    I am also pursuing my b-tech in mechanical. and i am keen to get into astronomy field. could you suggest me how can i get into it??

with regards
    varun singh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook