Mechanical engineering so many Choices?

In summary, a pre-junior mechanical engineering student at Drexel University is seeking advice on which concentration to choose within their program. They encourage others to not let age discourage them from pursuing education and ask for feedback on the different concentrations from those currently in school or working. Another individual shares that they have worked in four of the five concentrations and found them all to be enjoyable and easy to switch between. They also mention that energy-related fields may have good growth opportunities. Lastly, a student pursuing a b-tech in mechanical engineering is interested in getting into the astronomy field and asks for suggestions on how to do so.
MEM33
Hello all,
I am a pre-junior mechanical engineering student at Drexel University. I am a non traditional student working on my second bachelors and absolutely love it. I find myself amazed by the fact at my age (33) I have the opportunity to study full time. I will just say for anyone who feels like age is a reason not to go back to school, think about it again, you will appreciate it much more.
Anyway, I am having a positive dilema, but a dilema non the less. My program offers 5 concentrations within the mechanical major. I can't seem to decide which one I should choose. I am totaly aware this is a decesion that only I can make, but I am just throwing it out there to get some feed back on what others who are in school, or working have to say about these discilplines.

1. Aerospace
2.Biomechanical
3.Control Systems
4.Thermal fluids
5.Mechanics of Structures.

Any comments on the curriculum, possible employment opportunites, future of the industry would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mem33

Physics news on Phys.org
I've worked in 4 of the 5. All were fun and interesting. It has been easy to change between them. The biggest change was at age 55. I got my most challenging job yet, doing what I've never done before and loving it. As for growth, I vote for anything in Energy is Medicine.

Pkruse,

Did you specialize in any of them when you received your bachelors?

Mem33

I have a BSE, mechanical. I've never used more than 5% of my education in any job, but each job used a different 5%. I was a machinist, and that has been far more useful than my education. Whoever hires you will plan on training you, so that you will be fully productive within 4 or 5 years..

pkruse,
I am also pursuing my b-tech in mechanical. and i am keen to get into astronomy field. could you suggest me how can i get into it??

with regards
varun singh

pkruse,
I am also pursuing my b-tech in mechanical. and i am keen to get into astronomy field. could you suggest me how can i get into it??

with regards
varun singh

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves applying principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. This includes anything from vehicles and machines to medical devices and energy systems.

2. What are the different areas of mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that encompasses various sub-disciplines, including design and analysis, manufacturing, materials science, thermodynamics, and mechanics. Some common specializations within mechanical engineering include automotive engineering, aerospace engineering, and robotics.

3. What are some career options for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineering graduates have a wide range of career options, including design engineer, manufacturing engineer, project engineer, research and development engineer, and quality control engineer. They can also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and biomedical.

4. What skills are needed to be successful in mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineers need a strong foundation in math, physics, and materials science, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They also need to be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software and have good communication and teamwork skills.

5. How is mechanical engineering important in society?

Mechanical engineering plays a crucial role in society by designing and creating the machines and systems that make our daily lives easier and more efficient. From transportation to healthcare to renewable energy, mechanical engineers are constantly striving to improve the world around us.