Mechanical solutions for general electric problems

In summary: Ben.In summary, Ben was looking for solutions to electrical problems that did not necessarily involve using electric motors. He listed a variety of examples, including examples of systems that have a manual override. He also mentioned the electric switch that opens your trunk, and the electric transfer switch that switches automatically but can be manually over-ridden.
Ben1212
Hey there, i need some help please :)
As an assignment from my course, they asked us to bring some mechanical solutions for electric problems, and I don't mean in a specific area, i mean generally... i looked over the internet for it and found nothing..
If someone can please help with that would be great!

thank you,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you could look at multiple belt drives to distribute power around pinning and weaving mills, before electric motors were available to drive individual machines.

Ben1212 said:
Hey there, i need some help please :)
As an assignment from my course, they asked us to bring some mechanical solutions for electric problems, and I don't mean in a specific area, i mean generally... i looked over the internet for it and found nothing..
If someone can please help with that would be great!

thank you,
Ben

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "electrical problems"? Can you give some examples?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "electrical problems"? Can you give some examples?

what I mean is, for example - when you approach a door, it opens itself (electric). But, when it does not open itself, you use your hands (mechanical).
I hope this example explains its pretty good.. for the solution is can be a variety of mechanical solutions - it doesn't really matter. Also for the electric problem - its really doesn't matter what the problem is a long as there is a mechanical solution for it.

thanks and sorry for any grammar mistakes,
Ben.

Jobrag said:
I suppose you could look at multiple belt drives to distribute power around pinning and weaving mills, before electric motors were available to drive individual machines.

can you please explain a bit more? maybe a link to a specific website?

thank,
Ben.

Ben1212 said:
what I mean is, for example - when you approach a door, it opens itself (electric). But, when it does not open itself, you use your hands (mechanical).
I hope this example explains its pretty good.. for the solution is can be a variety of mechanical solutions - it doesn't really matter. Also for the electric problem - its really doesn't matter what the problem is a long as there is a mechanical solution for it.

thanks and sorry for any grammar mistakes,
Ben.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense.

But since this is your homework assignment, please go ahead and keep listing more examples. It sounds' like you have a pretty good understanding of the question. Pretty much any electrical system that has/needs a mechanical over-ride would qualify, it would seem. And there are certainly *lots* of those. :-)

How about an electrical transfer switch that switches automatically, but could be mechanically over ridden by hand when the automatic electrical switch failed.

How about the electric switch that opens your trunk in the car. When this system fails you could use the key to manually turn the keylock and open the trunk.

Are these the sort of of things you are looking for?

1. What are some common mechanical problems in general electric systems?

Common mechanical problems in general electric systems can include issues with motors, bearings, belts, and gears. These components can experience wear and tear over time, leading to malfunctions and decreased efficiency.

2. How can mechanical solutions be used to address general electric problems?

Mechanical solutions can involve repairing or replacing faulty components, as well as implementing maintenance and monitoring procedures to prevent future issues. Upgrades and modifications to existing systems may also be necessary for optimal performance.

3. Are there any specific tools or techniques used for mechanical problem-solving in general electric systems?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can be used for mechanical problem-solving in general electric systems. These can include diagnostic equipment, precision measurement tools, and computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. How important is preventative maintenance in avoiding mechanical problems in general electric systems?

Preventative maintenance is crucial in avoiding mechanical problems in general electric systems. Regular inspections and maintenance can identify potential issues before they become major problems, saving time and money in the long run.

5. Can mechanical solutions be applied to both residential and industrial general electric systems?

Yes, mechanical solutions can be applied to both residential and industrial general electric systems. While the scale and complexity of the systems may differ, the principles of mechanical problem-solving remain the same.