1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical solutions for general electric problems

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    Hey there, i need some help please :)
    As an assignment from my course, they asked us to bring some mechanical solutions for electric problems, and I don't mean in a specific area, i mean generally... i looked over the internet for it and found nothing..
    If someone can please help with that would be great!!

thank you,
    Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2
    I suppose you could look at multiple belt drives to distribute power around pinning and weaving mills, before electric motors were available to drive individual machines.

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "electrical problems"? Can you give some examples?

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4
    what I mean is, for example - when you approach a door, it opens itself (electric). But, when it does not open itself, you use your hands (mechanical).
    I hope this example explains its pretty good.. for the solution is can be a variety of mechanical solutions - it doesn't really matter. Also for the electric problem - its really doesn't matter what the problem is a long as there is a mechanical solution for it.

thanks and sorry for any grammar mistakes,
    Ben.

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5
    can you please explain a bit more? maybe a link to a specific website?

thank,
    Ben.

7. Nov 10, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Okay, that makes a bit more sense.

But since this is your homework assignment, please go ahead and keep listing more examples. It sounds' like you have a pretty good understanding of the question. Pretty much any electrical system that has/needs a mechanical over-ride would qualify, it would seem. And there are certainly *lots* of those. :-)

8. Nov 12, 2014 #7

psparky

Gold Member

How about an electrical transfer switch that switches automatically, but could be mechanically over ridden by hand when the automatic electrical switch failed.

How about the electric switch that opens your trunk in the car. When this system fails you could use the key to manually turn the keylock and open the trunk.

Are these the sorta of things you are looking for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted