Mechanics- General motion in a straight line.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate limiting equilibrium and the direction of a particle on a slope with friction. The individuals involved also mention the importance of including a Free Body Diagram in order to solve the problem accurately. They discuss the direction of the friction force and how it relates to the weight and normal force of the particle. They also address potential errors in the FBD and the value for acceleration.
Shah 72
MHB
20210616_231500.jpg

It's the second question.
Limiting equilibrium by a force of 5N means even friction is acting in the same direction. I don't understand how to calculate. Pls help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
After all the comments to put your images right side up you still aren't going to do it?

So. Please fix the diagram. In addition, can you give us the Free Body Diagram? That's always the first place to start.

-Dan

topsquark said:
After all the comments to put your images right side up you still aren't going to do it?

So. Please fix the diagram. In addition, can you give us the Free Body Diagram? That's always the first place to start.

-Dan
20210616_231500.jpg

Apologies. Iam getting confused on how to calculate acceleration without calculating the coefficient of friction.

topsquark said:

-Dan
I got R=25.9 N, I got coefficient of friction =0.3336.
Iam confused how to calculate the direction of the particle first without finding coefficient of friction.
I know the direction is down the slope.

topsquark said:

-Dan
I got it. Since the force 30 sin 27 acting downward is greater than the force 5 cos 10 acting upwards, the particle slips down

Shah 72 said:
I got it. Since the force 30 sin 27 acting downward is greater than the force 5 cos 10 acting upwards, the particle slips down
Please sketch a FBD. You didn't include friction, where did the of 30 come from, what about the normal force, etc?

And the problem states that the object is not moving.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Please sketch a FBD. You didn't include friction, where did the of 30 come from, what about the normal force, etc?

-Dan
[/QUO
topsquark said:

-Dan
30N is the weight of the particle. Normal contact force is R+ 5sin10= 30 cos 27, R=25.9
Without finding coefficient of friction, ( since that's the first question)
I thought I would say upward force is smaller than downward force, hence the particle slips down

topsquark said:
20210617_224024.jpg

-Dan

Your FBD is wrong

I agree. You didn't put in the static friction force. What direction should it point in? Also, your diagram seems to imply that the weight is directly opposite your normal force. It should be straight down.

Oh, and just to verify: You are using g = 10 m/s^2?

-Dan

DaalChawal said:
Your FBD is wrong
Can you pls show me the correct FBD diagram.

topsquark said:
I agree. You didn't put in the static friction force. What direction should it point in? Also, your diagram seems to imply that the weight is directly opposite your normal force. It should be straight down.

-Dan
Since its lifting equilibrium, the friction also should act in the same direction as the upward force. So it acts upwards. I did not put any value for acceleration as I wasn't sure.

topsquark said:

-Dan
Sorry limiting equilibrium

Shah 72 said:
Since its lifting equilibrium, the friction also should act in the same direction as the upward force. So it acts upwards. I did not put any value for acceleration as I wasn't sure.
Friction will act either up the slope or down the slope. It can't act upward.

As for the FBD, so long as you have the weight going straight down you need to decide which direction the friction force will be in. So if friction wasn't there what direction would the object move? Then you set the friction force to be in the opposite direction.

Give it a try and post us.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Friction will act either up the slope or down the slope. It can't act upward.

As for the FBD, so long as you have the weight going straight down you need to decide which direction the friction force will be in. So if friction wasn't there what direction would the object move? Then you set the friction force to be in the opposite direction.

Give it a try and post us.

-Dan
If there is no friction acting then the body would move down as downward force of 30sin 27 is greater than 5 cos 10. So friction according to this question will be acting in the upward direction as its in limiting equilibrium. Is this the correct??
For these type of problems my tutors and textbook haven't taught me how to draw free body diagram. If you can pls show me once with a diagram it will be very very helpful as my concept will be clear and I can apply it to other similar type questions.

Sounds good to me.

Free Body Diagram: You have to have some kind of source you are using, don't you? How can you be assigned a problem if you have no reference to learn how to do the problems with? (I've been wondering that also with the Kinematics problems you've been posting.) To draw an FBD you label the object as a point, then draw all forces that act on that object coming from that point. More or less what you sketched, just without the friction (and calling the normal force "R"? I usually use N.)

-Dan

topsquark said:
Sounds good to me.

Free Body Diagram: You have to have some kind of source you are using, don't you? How can you be assigned a problem if you have no reference to learn how to do the problems with? (I've been wondering that also with the Kinematics problems you've been posting.) To draw an FBD you label the object as a point, then draw all forces that act on that object coming from that point. More or less what you sketched, just without the friction (and calling the normal force "R"? I usually use N.)

-Dan
The free body diagram I have drawn is the way I have been taught. Even in my textbook it shows similar diagrams that I have drawn in its examples. ( may be its drawn slightly at an angle but I draw it with the particle slightly straight so that I can draw a straight vertical line).
Thank you so much for clearing that my diagram isn't wrong.

Shah 72 said:
Thank you so much for clearing that my diagram isn't wrong.
The diagram you posted above is wrong. If you fixed yours then you didn't post it.

And you really should make your weight pointing downward. FBD's, like all diagrams, should be taken literally due to scale issues (since we are only sketching it, after all) but you should at least get things pointing in more or less the correct direction.

-Dan

topsquark said:
The diagram you posted above is wrong. If you fixed yours then you didn't post it.

And you really should make your weight pointing downward. FBD's, like all diagrams, should be taken literally due to scale issues (since we are only sketching it, after all) but you should at least get things pointing in more or less the correct direction.

-Dan
Basically only the friction had to be shown in the diagram which would be upwards correct??

Shah 72 said:
Basically only the friction had to be shown in the diagram which would be upwards correct??
Okay, I see what happened.

We need to work on your descriptions a bit. There is a big difference between "upward" and "up the plane." The friction force should be up the plane.

Other than that you are ready to go. Define a coordinate plane with +x down the slope and +y in the direction of the normal force. Then use Newton's 2nd Law in each coordinate direction.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Okay, I see what happened.

We need to work on your descriptions a bit. There is a big difference between "upward" and "up the plane." The friction force should be up the plane.

Other than that you are ready to go. Define a coordinate plane with +x down the slope and +y in the direction of the normal force. Then use Newton's 2nd Law in each coordinate direction.

-Dan
Sorry about the description. Yeah I meant friction acts up the slope and not vertically upwards.
Thank you so so so much!

1. What is the definition of general motion in a straight line?

General motion in a straight line refers to the movement of an object in a single direction, without any changes in direction or acceleration.

2. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed in a straight line, while non-uniform motion is when an object's speed or direction changes over time.

3. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. How does Newton's first law of motion relate to general motion in a straight line?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object in general motion in a straight line will continue to move at a constant speed unless a force is applied to change its motion.