Mechanics- General motion in a straight line.

In summary, you are not able to find the answer to question (a) which is 6.5 m/s, and you need to solve a cubic equation to find the answer to (a). To find the answer to (b), you need to solve for t using v=0, and then use x=-0.1t^3+14t to find the answer to (b). To find the answer to (c), you need to solve for x using t=40.
Shah 72
MHB
20210615_225053.jpg

Iam not able to get the ans for q(a) which is 6.5 m/s
I don't understand how to calculate (b)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For (a) part you have to solve a cubic equation $t^3 - 140t + 575 =0 $ and put the value of t in $v=0.3t^2 + 14$ to get final answer.
for (b) part put $v=0 $ to get t for which velocity is zero and put that t in $x= -0.1t^3 +14t$ now you have to solve only.

DaalChawal said:
For (a) part you have to solve a cubic equation $t^3 - 140t + 575 =0 $ and put the value of t in $v=0.3t^2 + 14$ to get final answer.
for (b) part put $v=0 $ to get t for which velocity is zero and put that t in $x= -0.1t^3 +14t$ now you have to solve only.
I get t= 4.24s
When I substitute this value in v I get -0.3×4.24^2+14. I don't get the ans 6.5 m/s

DaalChawal said:
Can you also pls guide me how to calculate (c)

Shah 72 said:
I get t= 4.24s
When I substitute this value in v I get -0.3×4.24^2+14. I don't get the answer 6.5 m/s

You are making a calculation error, t=4.24 does not satisfy the equation.
For (c) part again you have to solve the cubic equation in t $x =- 0.1t^3 + 14t$ put $x=40$

DaalChawal said:
Iam so so sorry. I did a mistake. I have to solve the cubic equation. I did the mistake of solving quadratic equation.

DaalChawal said:
For (c) part again you have to solve the cubic equation in t $x =- 0.1t^3 + 14t$ put $x=40$
I realized the mistake. Thank you!

DaalChawal said:
Thanks a lottttt! I got all the ans

1. What is the definition of "general motion in a straight line"?

General motion in a straight line is the movement of an object in a single direction, without any change in direction or acceleration.

2. How is general motion in a straight line different from uniform motion?

Uniform motion is a specific type of general motion in a straight line where the object moves at a constant speed. General motion in a straight line can include changes in speed or direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating speed in general motion in a straight line?

The equation for calculating speed in general motion in a straight line is speed = distance / time. This equation can be used to calculate the average speed of an object over a given distance and time interval.

4. How is acceleration related to general motion in a straight line?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed or direction. In general motion in a straight line, acceleration can occur when the object changes speed or direction. If the object's speed remains constant, there is no acceleration.

5. Can general motion in a straight line occur in a curved path?

No, general motion in a straight line refers to the movement of an object in a single direction without any change in direction. If an object is moving in a curved path, it is considered to be in circular motion or motion with a changing direction, not general motion in a straight line.