Mechanism of α decay - truth about structure of nuclei

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of α decay and the structure of nuclei. The participants share their thoughts on the topic and discuss various sources, including a quantum mechanical theory of α decay and a textbook on nuclear physics. The idea of nuclear null oscillations is mentioned, but it is against the forum rules to discuss personal theories. The conversation ends with a request for a specific source or reference to be provided.
H Tomasz Grzybowski
α decay probably implies that heavy enough nuclei which undergo this decay, consist relatively loosely bound α particles and extra neutrons.
I haven't found any theory which views nuclei in this way.
I value truth in science, and would like to know it, also regarding stucture of nuclei
and mechanism of α decay.

Physics news on Phys.org
H Tomasz Grzybowski said:
α decay probably implies that heavy enough nuclei which undergo this decay, consist relatively loosely bound α particles and extra neutrons.
I haven't found any theory which views nuclei in this way.
I value truth in science, and would like to know it, also regarding stucture of nuclei
and mechanism of α decay.
Please post links to the journal articles you've been reading about your question. Thank you.

I don't know how you got that impression (see also post 2), but it is wrong.

According to Wikipedia, the Gamow theory presented on that page dates from 1928, i.e. two years after Schrödinger published his famous equation. It's commonly seen in introductory modern physics textbooks, but it should be viewed as a historical or heuristic device. Nuclear theory has come a long way since 1928.

Likes DrClaude
That's indeed true, but there is some truth in Gamov's model since ##\alpha##'s are pretty strongly bound beasts and thus many nuclei show some clustering of ##\alpha##'s, and Gamov's model understanding ##\alpha## decay as tunneling of such "preformed" ##\alpha##'s is a nice qualitative picture of the process. To be quantitative you have to use more realistic models of nuclear structure, of course.

Likes DrClaude
So it looks like we should believe inexistence of nuclear null oscllations. Can the energy of these oscillations be calculated
using Planck constant h = 6.6267⋅10^-34 J⋅s ?

I theorize myself. It seems natural to think that there are some oscillations which after some time lead to α decay.
And it looks like these oscillatons are incessant. So it invokes the idea of null oscilations.

I theorize myself. It seems natural to think that there are some oscillations which after some time lead to α decay.
And it looks like these oscillatons are incessant. So it invokes the idea of null oscilations.
It is against our rules to discuss personal theories. Additionally, the question
vanhees71 said:
What are nuclear null oscillations? Which book on nuclear physics are you reading?
is still unanswered.

If you can quote a paper or textbook which you refer to, please let me know via PM.
For the moment, this thread will be closed.

1. What is α decay?

α decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an alpha particle (a helium-4 nucleus) is emitted from an unstable atomic nucleus. This process is also known as alpha emission or alpha particle emission.

2. How is α decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Unlike other types of radioactive decay such as beta decay or gamma decay, α decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which consists of two protons and two neutrons. This results in the atomic number of the daughter nucleus decreasing by 2 and the mass number decreasing by 4.

3. What causes α decay to occur?

α decay occurs in unstable nuclei that have an excess of protons or neutrons, causing them to be in an energetically unstable state. The emission of an alpha particle helps to stabilize the nucleus by reducing its mass and energy.

4. How does the structure of the nucleus play a role in α decay?

The stability of a nucleus is determined by the ratio of protons to neutrons. If this ratio is too high, the nucleus may undergo α decay to achieve a more stable state. This process is also influenced by the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together.

5. What is the significance of understanding the mechanism of α decay?

Understanding the mechanism of α decay is important for several reasons. It helps us to better understand the behavior of unstable nuclei and the processes that occur in nuclear reactions. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine, where radioactive decay is utilized for various purposes.