Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. "Olinguito: 'Overlooked' mammal carnivore is major discovery"
    "mammal carnivore is major discovery"
    "mammal carnivore"

"Eats fruit mainly, but also consumes insects and nectar"
    "Eats fruit mainly"
    "fruit mainly"

Carnivore: "A carnivore is an animal that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue"
    "mainly animal tissue"

4. atyy

atyy 11,190
    Science Advisor

I think it is Anglicization of a technical term. says the giant panda is in "Carnivora". It also says the vernacular name for "Carnivora" is "carnivores".

The BBC article qoutes Kristofer Helgen, "The olinguito is a carnivore - that group of mammals that includes cats, dogs and bears and their relatives. Many of us believed that list was complete, but this is a new carnivore - the first to be found on the American continent for more than three decades."
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. I figured the BBC would be using the popular meaning of the word instead of the stricter meaning, but that makes a lot more sense!
  6. atyy

atyy 11,190
    Science Advisor

7. Evo

Staff: Mentor

It *is* cute, but many mammals are cuter.
  8. I agree. I'm a mammal. You do the math :smile:
  9. epenguin

epenguin 2,496
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Scientists in the US have discovered a new animal living in the cloud forests of Colombia and Ecuador" is hardly accurate.

They hope one will be found living, I'm sure we all do. The have discovered one that did live there.
  10. atyy

atyy 11,190
    Science Advisor

I think they did find one, at least that's how I read the news report. At the end they did make a trip to look for it.
  11. jim mcnamara

jim mcnamara 1,565
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen olingos and kinkajous when doing field research long ago. The olinguito looks really very much like the olingo.

Anyway the article above says that Helgen did in fact discover the species in the wild, in 2006, just published this week.
  12. atyy

atyy 11,190
    Science Advisor

But is the olinguito cuter than the others? From Helgen's range data, is it possible you might have seen it on your field work long ago?
  13. epenguin

epenguin 2,496
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK right, I was mistaken, just if you read the article without seeing the video which I did you could think they have only seen the museum specimen, and even the video is mostly about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted