Mercury Battery Reaction: Determining the Oxidation Half Reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 22K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,663
Reaction score
37
Howdy. I'm looking at a mercury battery reaction which goes like so:

HgO(l) + Zn(s) --> ZnO(s) + Hg(l)

I need to figure out the oxidation half reaction. What I can tell so far is that Zn is oxidized, since on the reactant side it has a charge of zero, and on the product side, Zn has an individual charge of 2+ in the ZnO compound. It must be losing electrons.

I believe the oxidation half reaction should have Zn on the reactant side and ZnO and some electrons (two?) on the product side, but I can't figure out how to work in the oxygen for the reactant side. Sorry, I'm totally new at this. And I kinda suck at it besides.:redface:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HgO(l) + Zn(s) --> ZnO(s) + Hg(l)

So one has

Hg2+ + Zn(s) --> Zn2+ + Hg(l)

and the oxygen does not change valence, it is simply transferred form Hg to Zn.

Half cell reactions

Hg2+ + 2 e- --> + Hg

Zn --> Zn2+ + 2 e-
 
Thanks, Astronuc. So when I write these half reactions, I shouldn't show the oxygen anywhere? I should only show the element that is getting oxidized or reduced? Sorry, I am still struggling with the concept of what I'm trying to represent.
 
Math Is Hard said:
So when I write these half reactions, I shouldn't show the oxygen anywhere? I should only show the element that is getting oxidized or reduced?
Yeah, that's pretty much what one does. One just writes the oxidation and reduction reactions.
Math Is Hard said:
Sorry, I am still struggling with the concept of what I'm trying to represent.
No problem, it took me awhile to get used to the conventions with respect to cathode/anode reactions.

Here is a nice little tutorial - http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/halfcell.html

This might help too.

Spontaneity of REDOX Systems - http://members.aol.com/logan20/elecspon.html

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/crofts/bioph354/redox.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I really appreciate the help. And the links are great! Hopefully, I'll be able to finish up my homework now.