Metallica Unveils Blackened Whiskey Enhanced by Sound Waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
nmsurobert
Messages
288
Reaction score
36
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask the pros about this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ils-blackened-whiskey-sound-waves/1143540002/
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
my idea is the sound vibrations shake small soluble particles off the wood. and instead of only pulling from the cask itself it also pulls from these small particles? smaller particles dissolve more quickly, in turn influencing the flavor slightly? i don't know. i feel like I'm reaching, but maybe?

gluten-free water is bottled and sold so I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science. I'm interested in the science though... if it exists.
 
nmsurobert said:
...I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science.
I think you're being optimistic about the science.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
nmsurobert said:
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.
From personal experience I can testify that some music sounds better after alcohol consumption. So in some peculiar way alcohol can influence sound, or at least the impression of sound. :smile: I am very skeptical that this holds the other way around.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link