Meteorology - radiative equilibrium timescale

In summary, the radiative timescale for an atmosphere can be derived using the equation \tau_{E} = \frac{c_{p} p_{0}}{4 g \sigma T^{3}_{E}}. This is based on the difference between the radiative power of an object, \sigma (T + \Delta T)^{4}, and the incoming solar flux, (1 - \sigma) S, which is equal to an instantaneous rate of change of heat, \frac{dQ}{dt}. By factoring out the bracket (T + \Delta T)^{4} as T^{4}(1 + \frac{4 \Delta T}{T}), the desired result can be obtained.
Sojourner01

Homework Statement

Derive the radiative timescale for an atmosphere:

[tex]
\tau_{E} = \frac{c_{p} p_{0}}{4 g \sigma T^{3}_{E}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gathered that the difference between the radiative power of an object,
[tex]
\sigma (T + \Delta T)^{4}
[/tex]

And the incoming solar flux on the object, [tex](1 - \sigma) S[/tex], is equal to an instantaneous rate of change of heat, [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex]. I don't know how to proceed from here; my derivation of the answer doesn't appear to conform to the one above.

edit: oh for crying out loud, I hate TeX. It never does what I want it to, and I have the 'how to program tex' thread open here in front of me. You can see what I was trying to achieve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I've sorted it out in case anyone is interested. Turns out you can factor out the bracket [tex](T + \Delta T)^{4}[/tex] as [tex]T^{4}(1 + \frac{4 \Delta T}{T})[/tex] using the first order binomial expansion.

Silly method, but there we go.

1. What is radiative equilibrium timescale in meteorology?

Radiative equilibrium timescale refers to the amount of time it takes for the Earth's atmosphere to reach a state of balance between incoming solar radiation and outgoing thermal radiation. This balance is important in understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns.

2. How is radiative equilibrium timescale calculated?

Radiative equilibrium timescale is calculated by considering the energy balance between incoming solar radiation and outgoing thermal radiation. This includes factors such as the Earth's albedo, greenhouse gases, and atmospheric composition.

3. What factors can affect radiative equilibrium timescale?

The main factors that can affect radiative equilibrium timescale include changes in solar radiation, changes in greenhouse gas concentrations, and changes in the Earth's albedo. Natural phenomena such as volcanic eruptions and human activities like fossil fuel combustion can also impact this timescale.

4. Why is understanding radiative equilibrium timescale important in meteorology?

Radiative equilibrium timescale is important in meteorology because it helps scientists and meteorologists understand the Earth's climate and weather patterns. It can also help predict how these patterns may change in the future due to natural or human-induced factors.

5. How can radiative equilibrium timescale be used in climate change studies?

Radiative equilibrium timescale is a key component in climate change studies, as it helps scientists understand how changes in solar radiation, greenhouse gas concentrations, and other factors can impact the Earth's climate. By studying this timescale, scientists can make predictions about the future of our planet's climate and potentially find solutions to mitigate the effects of climate change.