Method of residues integration problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing two Melnikov Integrals of the form cos(at)sech(bt) and cos(at)sech^3(bt), and the use of the method of residues to solve them. The suggestion is to complexify the cos-functions and use a special contour for the Residue Theorem. The person also expresses interest in the answer.
thrillhouse86
Hi all,

I am trying to determine two Melnikov Integrals (after some manipulation) of the form:
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}cos(at)sech(bt) dt[/tex]
and
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}cos(at)sech^{3}(bt) dt[/tex]

The textbook I've been reading (Litchenberg & Libermann), says that the way to integrate similar problems is to use the method of residues. I have a superficial understanding of how that works, but every other time I've used the method of residue I've dealt with rationale functions so that I could find poles and then just apply apply the Cauchy integral formula at the isolated poles.

Can anyone give me a kick-start on how to begin solving these 2 integrals by the method of residues ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thrillhouse86,

I'm not an expert on the "residue Issue" but here's my suggestion:

1. Note that both integrands are even functions (at least I think so)
2. Then complexify the cos-functions, i.e. use the e-function

3. For the Residue Thm. you will need a special contour. I had posted a similar thread a month ago, I'd try with the same contour:

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-h...metry/99385-contour-integral-residue-thm.html

PS: post the answer when you have it, I'm interested too :)

1. What is the Method of Residues Integration Problem?

The Method of Residues Integration Problem is a mathematical technique used to solve certain types of integrals, specifically those that contain trigonometric functions. It involves using complex analysis and the theory of residues to find the solution to the integral.

2. How does the Method of Residues Integration Problem work?

The method involves first converting the given integral into a complex function and then finding the poles (singularities) of the function. The residues (values at the poles) are then calculated and used to solve the integral. The final solution is obtained by taking the real part of the complex result.

3. What types of integrals can be solved using the Method of Residues Integration Problem?

This method is most commonly used to solve integrals that contain trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It can also be used for integrals involving logarithmic and exponential functions.

4. Are there any limitations to the Method of Residues Integration Problem?

Yes, this method can only be applied to integrals with certain types of functions. It cannot be used to solve integrals with rational functions or those with branch cuts. Additionally, the method may not always give a unique solution or may require additional techniques to obtain the final result.

5. What are the benefits of using the Method of Residues Integration Problem?

This method provides a more efficient and elegant way to solve certain types of integrals compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the use of complex analysis, which can provide deeper insights into the solution. Additionally, it can be used to solve integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques.