1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method to produce and measure velocity of a standing wave

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm in a Year 10 physics class. We have been asked, for homework, to design an experiment to measure the velocity of a standing wave. No other information has been given other than that.

I reproduce the exact instructions we were given, since the guidelines suggest I should:

2. Relevant equations

I did some research into waves and standing waves and I found that to find the velocity of a wave I use the formula [itex]v = f\lambda[/itex]. I'm not quite sure how this formula applies to a standing wave, since a standing wave doesn't really move... was I supposed to measure the speed of the individual waves that make up the standing wave? Or the speed at which the standing wave vibrates at the antinodes?

3. The attempt at a solution

Initial research into types of standing waves suggests I could use a string for the medium. I'm not sure what I could use to start the vibrations in the string though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To generate a wave you must have a source, and the source has a frequency ... your device, so you control the frequency.

Once you can see the waves you can measure the wavelength. For standing waves this should be easy.

That should be enough ... if you want to extend this try different liquids or gasses ... each will have its own characteristic velocity. You can even use solids ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted