Method to produce and measure velocity of a standing wave

• Thread starter Rampant
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm in a Year 10 physics class. We have been asked, for homework, to design an experiment to measure the velocity of a standing wave. No other information has been given other than that.

I reproduce the exact instructions we were given, since the guidelines suggest I should:

Physics Design Prac

The velocity of Standing Waves?????

You are to find a way to measure the velocity of a standing wave that you can make. You must change that velocity somehow, and find a relationship with another variable.

Good luck!

Homework Equations

I did some research into waves and standing waves and I found that to find the velocity of a wave I use the formula [itex]v = f\lambda[/itex]. I'm not quite sure how this formula applies to a standing wave, since a standing wave doesn't really move... was I supposed to measure the speed of the individual waves that make up the standing wave? Or the speed at which the standing wave vibrates at the antinodes?

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial research into types of standing waves suggests I could use a string for the medium. I'm not sure what I could use to start the vibrations in the string though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

UltrafastPED
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To generate a wave you must have a source, and the source has a frequency ... your device, so you control the frequency.

Once you can see the waves you can measure the wavelength. For standing waves this should be easy.

That should be enough ... if you want to extend this try different liquids or gasses ... each will have its own characteristic velocity. You can even use solids ...