1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method to remove salt from water (Not distillation or RO)

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    Hello all.

I'm tutoring a high school student and am having trouble with a seemingly simple science project that was assigned: How to remove table salt from water. Having graduated as a Chemical Engineer, I said distillation! But the problem statement says you can't be that boring. Then I said reverse osmosis, thinking that would make for a great presentation (lots of good calculations to do and theory to discuss)... until I found the student has to actually perform the desalination process for the class. And RO units aren't that easy to build or operate with household materials.

So know I don't really know. I'm thinking some kind of liquid-liquid extraction or forced precipitation of the NaCl.

Any other "at home" desalination methods you can think of? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ion-exchange resin?

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    IX Resin is a cool idea.

I don't suppose it's possible to do a "homemade" resin, so in that case from where would be a good place to purchase some that can exchange typical Na and Cl ions? (hopefully not to expensive!)

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook