Method to remove salt from water (Not distillation or RO)

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for removing table salt from water for a science project. The first suggestion is distillation, but it is deemed too boring. Reverse osmosis is then suggested, but it is difficult to perform with household materials. Other suggestions include liquid-liquid extraction, forced precipitation, and ion-exchange resin. The idea of using homemade resin is brought up, but it is unclear if it is possible. The conversation ends with a request for recommendations on where to purchase affordable ion-exchange resin.
ChaoticLlama
Hello all.

I'm tutoring a high school student and am having trouble with a seemingly simple science project that was assigned: How to remove table salt from water. Having graduated as a Chemical Engineer, I said distillation! But the problem statement says you can't be that boring. Then I said reverse osmosis, thinking that would make for a great presentation (lots of good calculations to do and theory to discuss)... until I found the student has to actually perform the desalination process for the class. And RO units aren't that easy to build or operate with household materials.

So know I don't really know. I'm thinking some kind of liquid-liquid extraction or forced precipitation of the NaCl.

Any other "at home" desalination methods you can think of? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ion-exchange resin?

IX Resin is a cool idea.

I don't suppose it's possible to do a "homemade" resin, so in that case from where would be a good place to purchase some that can exchange typical Na and Cl ions? (hopefully not to expensive!)

Thanks.

1. How does the method to remove salt from water work?

The method to remove salt from water involves using a process called reverse osmosis (RO). In RO, water is forced through a semi-permeable membrane that allows water molecules to pass through, but not salt molecules. This effectively removes the salt from the water, leaving behind clean, drinkable water.

2. What equipment is needed for this method?

To remove salt from water using RO, you will need a reverse osmosis system. This typically includes a pre-filter, a semi-permeable membrane, and a post-filter. Some systems may also include a storage tank and a faucet for dispensing the clean water.

3. Is this method safe for drinking water?

Yes, the method of removing salt from water using RO is safe for drinking water. The semi-permeable membrane effectively removes all salt and other impurities from the water, leaving behind clean and safe drinking water.

4. How long does it take to remove salt from water using this method?

The time it takes to remove salt from water using RO can vary depending on the system and the amount of water being processed. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to produce one gallon of clean water.

5. Can this method be used for large-scale water treatment?

Yes, reverse osmosis can be used for large-scale water treatment. However, it is important to note that it can be a costly and energy-intensive process. In some cases, other methods such as electrodialysis may be more suitable for large-scale water treatment.