Metricity Equation: ∇_{μ}g_{αβ}=0, ∇_{μ}g^αβ ≠ 0?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kuecken
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
kuecken
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
∇[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]g[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]=0 is the metricity equation (∇ the covariant derivative).
However, I wondered whether also ∇[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\alpha\beta}[/itex]=0 holds?
When I checked it, it did not. But I really want it to hold, so I was wondering whether I made a mistake.
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kuecken. In fact ##\nabla_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta} = 0 \Leftrightarrow \nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta} = 0##.

This is actually very easy to see:

##0 = \nabla_{\mu}\delta^{\alpha}{}{}_{\beta} = \nabla_{\mu}(g^{\alpha \gamma}g_{\gamma \beta}) = g^{\alpha\gamma}\nabla_{\mu}g_{\gamma \beta} + g_{\gamma\beta}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha \gamma}## holds identically hence if ##\nabla_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta} = 0## then ##\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta} = 0## and similarly for the converse.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
This is the expression I arrived at. However, can I argue that the g[itex]_{\gamma\beta}[/itex] in front of ∇ is arbitrary? Or how do I do that last step
 
So we have ##g_{\gamma\beta}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\gamma} = 0##. Contract both sides with ##g^{\nu\beta}## to get ##\delta^{\nu}{}{}_{\gamma}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\gamma} = \nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\nu} = 0##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Because of the metricity condition, one can define the so-called contravariant derivatives:

[tex]\nabla^{\mu}T_{\alpha} = g^{\mu\nu} \nabla_{\nu}T_{\alpha}[/tex]

[tex]= \nabla_{\nu}\left(g^{\mu\nu}T_{\alpha}\right)[/tex]

that is freely take out and put back the metric tensor under the covariant/contravariant differentiation sign.