Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michio Kaku, Parallel Universes, and Galactic EZ Bake Ovens

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    This is my first post on this forum, I apologize in advance if I placed this in the wrong location.

My question is this:

I'm watching the Science Channel tonight, and on an episode of Sci Fi Science, Dr. Michio Kaku suggests that if you heat space up to say, a couple trillion degrees Fahrenheit, you could potentially induce a Big Bang.

Why might this happen, and what/where is the science that supports it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2
    I don't know, but there is a big difference between heating something to recreate the conditions immediately after the big bang, and actually "inducing a big bang". Are you sure which of these he was referring to?

Maybe he is referring to theories that allow for a spatial topology change, sort of like a separate universe splitting off from the one we live in. Even if that was possible isn't that temperature a bit low? Btw, Kaku has a tendency to speak about theories without any experimental jsupport as if they were fact.

EDIT: I think this should be in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section.

Torquil

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    Being myself a fan of Michio Kaku I can definitely say that I find a lot of what he presents edifying and interesting. But in response to your question, I would pose another one: Is there enough energy in the known universe (assuming the known universe to mean a finite plane) to heat all of space to such temperatures? I kind of doubt it due to the vastness of space and the intervals between massive particles in deep space.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook