Mighty Putty™: Fixes, Fills & Seals Any Surface

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, Mighty Putty is a powerful bonding epoxy stick that can be used for a variety of repairs and enhancements. It is easy to use and can be applied to any surface. Some of the claims made about Mighty Putty are exaggerated, but it is still a useful product.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php

Now you can repair any job big or small, thanks to Mighty Putty™. Mighty Putty™ is great for anything from your smallest craft projects to your largest home improvements! The easy way to fix, fill and seal almost any surface, and make it last. Mighty Putty™ is a powerful bonding epoxy stick that you can mold to any shape and can apply to any surface for an everlasting bond. Simply cut, activate and apply...then all you do is let It dry.

Now, I can believe this epoxy could be useful for some of the applications shown, like reattaching broken cup handles, or as a wood filler. But, some of the claims seem pretty outrageous, like the one where they put a big glob connecting two chains together to haul a tractor trailer (even if the trailer is empty), or they use it to replace the links of a chain. I'm suspicious that they haven't simply used it to conceal the chain still fully attached. Being a good adhesive for a ceramic cup handle is different than performing as well as steel chain for heavy strains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I love how in the commercials their hands stay clean after kneading... which is impossible! A friend of mine bought some and I had the chance to play with a little bit of it. It reminds me of JB Weld or any of the other 'cold weld' putty.

To me, it doesn't seem as tough as JB Weld. I definitely wouldn't trust it to hold a chain link together for any high stress situation.

B. Elliott said:
To me, it doesn't seem as tough as JB Weld.

Well, that addresses the other question I didn't ask...for what it actually can do, is it really worth the cost compared to less expensive, similar products available at the local hardware store? Sounds like the answer is "no."

When I saw them use it on brick to hold up shelves I was wondering about that. Brick is porous, it gets damp, the brick would have to be cleaned thoroughly and sealed for this to work like they showed, woudn't it?

Evo said:
When I saw them use it on brick to hold up shelves I was wondering about that. Brick is porous, it gets damp, the brick would have to be cleaned thoroughly and sealed for this to work like they showed, woudn't it?

Actually, I was thinking the porosity of the brick would help with adhesion (yes, it would have to be dry brick, not a location frequently getting wet), as with the broken ends of things like ceramic mugs. It's the smooth surfaces I wonder about.

The other thing I started wondering...the way it's shown in the ads, it seems to have both parts of the epoxy already in the tube, the inner white part and the outer green part. Is there something between the two layers to prevent them from reacting before you want them to? Or would you eventually have a lot go to waste as it slowly reacted from the outside in?

Moonbear said:
But, some of the claims seem pretty outrageous, like the one where they put a big glob connecting two chains together to haul a tractor trailer (even if the trailer is empty), or they use it to replace the links of a chain.

So. Hrm. You're so curious about this product because you have a tractor trailer that needs hauling? :biggrin:

Edit: Oh now I get it! I just saw the thread posting section. Under control now. I'll behave. Promise.

Last edited:
Yeah you definitely have to clean the surface first. It actually advises to on the instructions. Like Moonbear said it should hold to brick fairly well due to it being porous. Probably the same with cinder blocks too. If the brick get damp that could definitely cause to separate over time.

As for what keeps is from hardening while not being used, I think it's due to whatever that they're using that's reacting (white and green stuff) has to be mixed together VERY well to work worth a flip. After a minute of kneading, it begins to get warm to the touch and starts to put off a funky odor. For small nickel-sized pieces you have to knead for a good... three minutes or so.

The pipe, shovel handle, drinking glass, gutter… a nice piece of duct tape could take care of all of those things. And the table leg! If that stuff can pull an 80,000 pound truck why would you use it to fill a crack in wood? Wood filler? They make that right?

I did notice that the force of the truck was applied as a sheer to the two plates. The plates and putty had a lot of surface area, and if you didn’t hit it with anything dynamic as you pulled it… Still, that is pretty amazing! Why then didn’t they do anything else amazing for the ad? Need I bring up the table leg again?

Moonbear said:
https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php
But, some of the claims seem pretty outrageous, like the one where they put a big glob connecting two chains together to haul a tractor trailer (even if the trailer is empty), or they use it to replace the links of a chain.

ok... here's what you do, go buy this mighty putty, read over the package VERY CLEARLY nos go make a chain with it and pull your trailer up a hill, if it breaks and the tractor goes flying down a hill, sue the creators :) not serious btw.

I myself don't think that this is possible, a trailer weighs alot, a little bit of this ceramic looking cement could not hold it to your car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mighty Putty™: Fixes, Fills & Seals Any Surface

1. What is Mighty Putty™ and what does it do?

Mighty Putty™ is a versatile adhesive product that is designed to fix, fill, and seal any surface. It is a two-part epoxy putty that when mixed together, forms a strong and durable bond that can be used for various household repairs.

2. How does Mighty Putty™ work?

Mighty Putty™ works by combining two components, a resin and a hardener, which when mixed together, create a chemical reaction that causes the putty to harden and form a strong bond. Once applied to a surface, the putty will harden within a few minutes and create a permanent seal.

3. What surfaces can Mighty Putty™ be used on?

Mighty Putty™ can be used on a wide range of surfaces, including wood, metal, glass, plastic, ceramic, and more. It is also safe to use on surfaces that come into contact with food, making it a versatile and convenient product for household repairs.

4. How long does it take for Mighty Putty™ to dry?

The drying time for Mighty Putty™ depends on the temperature and humidity of the environment, but generally, it will dry and harden within 5-10 minutes. It is recommended to wait at least 24 hours before putting any stress on the repaired area.

5. Is Mighty Putty™ waterproof?

Yes, Mighty Putty™ is waterproof and can be used to repair surfaces that are exposed to water or moisture. It can also withstand extreme temperatures, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.

Back