Millions of Men May Be Descended From Irish King

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, a new study has found that up to three million men living around the world today could be descendants of fifth-century Irish king, Niall of the Nine Hostages. This supports the claim that Niall founded a dynasty that dominated Ireland for centuries. However, there are questions about whether Niall actually existed and what would happen to his descendants if it were proven that he did not. Additionally, it has been suggested that many people of Irish descent have some genes from the early procreator of the Ua Niall clan, further connecting them to Niall.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This is interesting, but I could decide if the appropriate topic is genetics or history.

Up to three million men living around the world today could be descended from a fifth-century Irish king, according to a new study.

Research suggests as many as 1 in 12 men in Ireland carry the genes of Niall of the Nine Hostages, bolstering claims that the ancient warlord founded a dynasty that dominated Ireland for centuries.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0120_060120_irish_men.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to Niall's descendants if it is proven he didn't exist after all?
Do they evaporate or something?

Nice link, though.

arildno said:
What happens to Niall's descendants if it is proven he didn't exist after all?
Do they evaporate or something?
Nice link, though.
Dunno. I hope I am not one of them. :rofl:

It looked interesting.

Not a difficult job to guess which 1 of PF'ers are his descendants! :uhh:

Over at gnxp someone pointed that in addition to the specifiv Y-chromosome inheritance, practically everyone of Irish descent has SOME genes from the early procreator of the Ua Niall clan and associates (whether Niall of history or someone else. They can't be sure that Genghis Khan is the procreator of that Asian descent either; it's just very possible). So since I am 1/16 Irish, I suppose I have a Niall gene or two kicking around.

What is the source of this claim?

The claim that millions of men may be descended from an Irish king is based on a study published in the journal Genetics in 2015. The study used genetic data from men with surnames associated with the historical Irish kingdom of Uí Néill to estimate the number of living descendants of its legendary founder, Niall of the Nine Hostages.

How was the study conducted?

The researchers used a method called surname-based sampling, in which they recruited men with specific surnames associated with the Uí Néill dynasty. They then analyzed the Y-chromosome DNA of these men to look for genetic markers that are typically passed down from father to son. By comparing these markers to those of other men in Ireland, they were able to estimate the number of living descendants of Niall.

What were the results of the study?

The study estimated that there could be as many as 3 million living male descendants of Niall of the Nine Hostages, making him one of the most prolific known male ancestors in the world. The study also found that 1 in 12 men in Ireland and 1 in 5 men in northwest Ireland carry genetic markers that are consistent with descent from Niall.

What evidence supports the claim that Niall of the Nine Hostages was a real person?

While there is no direct historical evidence for Niall's existence, there are many legendary and genealogical sources that mention him. Additionally, the genetic evidence from the study suggests that there may have been a common male ancestor for many of the men in Ireland with surnames associated with the Uí Néill dynasty, indicating that there may have been a real person behind the legend.

What are the implications of this study?

This study sheds light on the genetic ancestry of millions of men with Irish heritage and highlights the influence of one particular male ancestor, Niall of the Nine Hostages. It also demonstrates the power of genetic analysis in understanding human population history and migration patterns. However, it is important to note that this study only looked at male-line descendants and does not reflect the genetic ancestry of all people with Irish heritage.